“In one of its final acts, the Bloomberg administration pushed through a costly contract to modernize the city’s 311 call system — hiring the same company fired by the feds for the botched rollout of the Obamacare website. The city’s Department of Information Technology and Telecommunications, known as DoITT, awarded the contract to the Montreal-based company CGI on Dec. 31, hours before Bill de Blasio was sworn in as mayor.”
This isn’t even an incompetent U.S. company. It’s based in Montreal.
We need not dwell on this, need we? (I really can’t, because my endurance is limited when I’m missing the top of my head.) There can be no acceptable justification for such irresponsible conduct. The only explanations are…
- Kickbacks or cronyism. Someone wants this company to get the contract.
- A complete rejection of accountability as a governing concept. This company’s well-publicized failure, with disastrous practical. political and financial consequences, should have disqualified it permanently from any further government contracts.
- A complete rejection of fairness as a governing value. Another company deserved a chance, because this one had a high-profile task and blew it spectacularly.
- Contempt for the public and the importance of responsible use of tax-payer funds.
- Utter, inexplicable stupidity.
Or some obscene combination.