When we last left the lovable and unpredictable Conways, Kellyanne Conway, Counselor to President Trump, announced that she was exiting her White House post to focus on her family after her 16-year-old daughter, Claudia, claimed she was seeking emancipation from her parents over alleged “trauma and abuse.” At the same time, George Conway, the D.C. lawyer who repeatedly embarrassed his wife by attacking her boss and helping to create the anti-Trump Lincoln Project, quit his role with the group, also to deal with the family crisis.
In this week’s Very Special episode, a topless photo of Claudia was posted on Mom Kellyanne’s Twitter account using Twitter’s recently launched Fleets feature, which deletes posts after a 24-hour period. The Fleet was captured by many Twitter users anyway. Claudia then posted videos on TikTok, her favorite milieu (they are now deleted but also captured by others and reposted) confirming that the nude picture was authentic. Claudia speculated, “I’m assuming my mom took a picture of it to use against me one day and then somebody hacked her or something. I’m literally at a loss for words. If you see it, report it.” In one of the TikTok videos, Claudia Conway said that “nobody would ever have any photo like that, ever. So, Kellyanne, you’re going to fucking jail.”
Yesterday, Claudia announced that she and her mother will be “taking a break from social media” and will work on their relationship adding, “I know that my mom would never, ever post anything to hurt me like that intentionally, and I do believe she was hacked…… Please do not incite hate or violence on my family. Please, no threats, no calls to authorities. I love my mom and she loves me.”
Forgive me if I am skeptical that a daughter who just this month again said her parents abused her authored that voluntarily.
1. Donald Trump said during the 2016 campaign that he would be appointing “the best people.” This disaster is more evidence that he could not and did not. His most loyal and visible advisor other than Trump family members was a flaky pollster who made repeated gaffes on TV (including the infamous “alternative facts” line), violated the Hatch Act, and allowed her attention-addict husband to exploit her position to undermine the President and the administration.
2. The children of successful people in politics, as in many other fields, are frequently neglected and become resentful and destructive as a result. Claudia should be a poster model for this phenomenon. She is a child, and thus cannot be blamed too much for her acting out, but Claudia’s parents can be.
3. It is outrageous that an angry teen was allowed to have an impact on a national election. Kellyanne Conway’s main value to the President was in campaigning; her absence after August was critical, and may even have been decisive. So a perpetual teen’s tantrums and acting out episodes was allowed to affect the fate of the nation. Nice going, Conways!
4. Why does a 16-year old have a nude photo of herself on the internet? Claudia’s not too young to be told that she is an irresponsible fool, and to have to live with the consequences. Why is she still using social media after humiliating her parents over the summer? The elder Conways should have dealt with her behavioral problems long ago, and were presumably the reason she had those problems.
5. Social media has the power to turn children into monsters, and if they are public figures as well as children, those monsters will create other monsters. Claudia has more than 1 million TikTok followers. NO 16-year old should have that much influence and power, and a troubled, angry teen like her is like contagion. Again, the adult Conways allowed this to happen, and are accountable.
6. John Duffy, a psychologist who specializes in adolescence and anxiety, says that teens all over the country are talking about the latest “episode” of “The Conways.”“It’s an issue of emotional safety,” he says. “I usually caution kids to have some sense of boundaries, to think about what you want to share about yourself and your family. Because now this whole (Conway) family is kind of wrecked by this — nobody more so than Claudia, no matter what the truth is.”
Gee, ya think, Doc?