[I’m bumping this post ahead of the Morning Warm-Up. It is the kind of item that often ends up IN the Warm-Up, something a stumble upon early in the day while surfing the cable channels and the web as my Jack Russell Terrier snores in my lap, and often that means that I don’t give a development the full post it warrants. If I wait until after the Warm-Up posts, it’s often late in the day before I have time to get to the next post, and other matters have intervened.
This is, on the surface, a trivial story. It’s not, though. I don’t want to write that it shows that the hard left is losing its collective mind, because this evokes the vile Michael Savage’s book title, “Liberalism Is A Mental Disease,” which epitomizes the mutual demonization that is destroying civil discourse and a lot more. I’m not sure what to write–let’s see what happens…]
On memeorandum, a relentlessly balanced and up-to-the-minute headline aggregator site that is an invaluable resource, this was deemed one of the stories worthy of listing this morning. From Raw Story, a hard Left political site: WATCH: Hot mic catches GOP senator ogling ‘beautiful’ teenaged girls with fellow lawmaker.
It attracted my curiosity because I didn’t understand how a hot mic could “catch” anyone doing something physical, like ogling (it didn’t) and because I wondered if this was going to be yet another example of the Left prosecuting thought-crimes (which, as it turned out, it is.)
This is what that hot mic caught Mississippi Senator Roger Wicker (R-MI) saying on the floor of the Senate. Are you ready to be shocked? Are you sure?
“I thought you were going to say this was one of the most beautiful girls.”
He was presumably referring to one of the Senate pages. He expressed the opinion that one or several of them were beautiful.
I checked the Raw Story comments. With couple of exceptions, every one of the comments (until I couldn’t take it any more and stopped reading) to this “bombshell” report—a GOP Senator thought that a teenage girl was beautiful and said so to a colleague! OH NO!!!—regarded Wicker’s comment as both newsworthy and damning. Here’s a representative sample, at the beginning of the thread, in sequence:
I am sure that he will invoke the “get out of guilt free” card by confessing all to all and seek’n fergivness from Gawd. That will do it.
I guess they really needed Roy Moore to join their ranks to function as a “moral beacon”.
THE PAGES ARE OFF LIMITS!!!! PERIOD!!!! NO ONE GETS TO CRUISE CHILDREN ON THE FLOOR OF THE SENATE OR HOUSE OR ANYWHERE. I don’t know why a parent would want their daughter or son to serve as a page considering the sort of behavior we’ve seen from Senators & House members concerning children.
Seriously, what can you expect ? The Commander in Chief is basically an undisciplined predator, married 3 times, cheating on all of his wives ? Where would Republicans get the idea that they are doing anything that’s wrong ? No leadership, no morals, no brains.
Let’s be clear… these men are pigs, but this is common on both sides of the aisle.
When a Dem politician is busted for even the most minor infraction, he is immediately booted from the party, no matter how badly it hurts the party. When a Republican glorifies and admits to even the most morally depraved actions, he is supported in his Senate run or even elected to the Oval Office.
Absolutely these guys are pigs. But far, far worse are the vile Republican voterpigs who routinely let them get away with it, knowingly give them their votes, money, and other support despite their filth.
Still waiting for Al Franken’s hearing…
NO…It is much more common with the sexually repressed christian hypocrites. this is much more prevalent with these folks who preach one thing and try have sex with little girls or boys..
A perfect example is the recent story of Wes Goodman, a state Rep in Ohio.. Republican, “natural marriage” advocate, blah, blah, blah. Resigned after being caught, allegedly, with another man having sex in his office. Turns out, according to one source, he was “all over Craig’s List”. Have not the slightest problem with this dude being gay or bi, but can get dowright snarky about the hypocrisy of his public position vs his private actions. And, on another level, can feel sad for someone who engages in such self-hatred as to profess views that are antithetical to his own core instincts. Party? Republican
Let’s be really clear… there is only one major party in America where such perverts are consistently supported, even after being exposed. The ‘both sides’ argument is the last refuge of a GOP supplicant.
And to just think, his viagra is covered under insurance. Another freak pretending to be a law maker.
Greedy Old Perverts
Gross old perverts!
Embarrassing the fuck out of the Senate pages, good job you fucking perverts.
So I assume he will be pressured to resign? Oh right, silly me, that’s only for Democrats.
These are men of god they only look at those girls in a biblical way.
Greedy Old Perverts (GOP) doing what they like to do.
I would have said “Groody Old Perverts”, but yeah. That does seem to be a cherished pastime for that party.
Creepy old guy creeping on girls? Must be part of the GOP…
How are they now going to find judges for the Miss Teen USA pageant?
PC might be running amuck this year.
A good ol’ boy southerner has lewd thoughts about teenage girls. In other news, the sky turns dark after the sun sets.
Only after all this appeared the first comment in the thread to point out the obvious, accompanied by one of the many photos of 2010 Presidential hopeful Joe Biden creeping out a helpless young woman during a photo session..
Noting that a teen is beautiful is lewd?
Which immediately got the response,
You can always expect a right wing troll to falsely equivalate something when one of their own is caught being filthy…. which seems to be EVERY GOTDAM DAY.
- If you don’t agree with these stipulations, I recommend that you stop reading and make an appointment with a psychiatrist:
1 This was not newsworthy.
2. There is nothing unethical, immoral, or wrong with an adult of any age thinking or commenting that a teenager is “beautiful.”
3. The contention that such a comment is in anyway related to the party membership, region or politics of the speaker is so ridiculous that it shouldn’t require debate.
- What two men say or think in private should not be matter of public interest or criticism in a free society. This issue keeps raising its ugly head, and for some reason it is always the progressive furies that are seeking vengeance and retribution based on overheard, wiretapped, surreptitiously recorded or otherwise unethically exposed comments of an individual who had a reasonable expectation of privacy.
This is the growing consensus on the Left that politically incorrect thoughts—and this doesn’t even qualify as that—constitute punishable misconduct. This development ought to alarm all civil libertarians regardless of party affiliation. Does it?
- Is this another unanticipated consequence of the Harvey Weinstein Ethics Train Wreck? Will the #MeToo mob start reporting men in power whom they learned once said to a third party they were beautiful? Will the news media set out to assist in the destruction of a public figure because he acknowledged that someone he had no intention of sleeping with was beautiful?
Why would anyone be confident, at this point, that the answer is “no”?
- I’ll admit it: I have seen young teenage girls in many settings, especially as a stage director, who I have concluded were incredibly beautiful, because they were. This does not make me a pervert, or someone who can be fairly compared to Roy Moore. I would say it makes me a typical hterosexual male, except that I have many gay colleagues who are equally astute at spotting extraordinaty female attractiveness.
In many of these cases, I have commented to a third party that the young woman in question was beautiful, perhaps to a friend, family member, or member of my staff. None of them recoiled in horror, made a face, or threw holy water on me, because a) they agreed and b) there is absolutely nothing wrong with observing that a child, a teen, a young adult beneath the age of consent, is beautiful or attractive.
In one such case, a young woman, high school age, in one of my productions was so extraordinary looking (people who are Hollywood-gorgeous with charisma are as rare in real life as white crows) that I told her father, a long-time friend, that based on her looks and presence (including sex appeal) alone she would have chance at a performing career if she was interested. (She was not.) My comment went a long, long way beyond the Senator’s remark. Was it proof of perversion? Are you nuts?
- For a Senator to say to a page that she is beautiful is borderline sexual harassment, just as it would have been sexual harassment for me to tell the young woman with star quality what I told her father. But he didn’t do that. He observed that she was beautiful and said so to someone near him.
This comment above—THE PAGES ARE OFF LIMITS!!!! PERIOD!!!! NO ONE GETS TO CRUISE CHILDREN ON THE FLOOR OF THE SENATE OR HOUSE OR ANYWHERE—is the canary dying in the mine. Off limits to look at? Off limits to notice or admire? Pages are off limits to date, stalk, harass, proposition or leer at, making them feel uncomfortable. What has made do many progressives lose all sense of proportion and material distinctions where sex is concerned? When I was a college student, a parent expressing this kind of hysteria would be regarded as the epitome of an old fogey locked in the Victorian Era, and justly so.
- Inconvenient fact: Congressional staff, interns and pages are substantially selected because they are the most attractive qualified applicants in the pool. In D.C., this has been a running joke for decades. My hyper-gonadal law school room mate at Georgetown Law Center used to walk around the Capitol at lunch time just to girl-watch, and I know what HE was thinking. This traditional flagrant “lookism” on the Hill is an interesting ethics topic all by itself, but it doesn’t make the Senator’s comment “immoral”.Or what my room mate said to me, which I will take to the grave.
That female page may have snagged her job because she was attractive, but it is perverted conduct for a legislator to notice that she’s attractive? What?
- The ugly, blind, unreasoning hate that Raw Story displayed by running this story and its readers display with their reactions to it is horrifying. This is clinical, unhinged, irrational, and it appears to be both widespread among Democrats and spreading. This is “the resistance”; this is “the base.” Do Democrats really think that appealing to a base that has become dominated by unreasoning hate is a legitimate way to return to power? Are there sane and rational progressives out there—never mind moderates— who feel safe and confident handing influence and power to people like those who wrote those comments?
In my analysis, the Democrats are both deluded and irresponsible for pandering to such angry fanatics. They are a cultural contagion, and should be shunned , not encouraged.