The President could win this category every week, but this one is especially annoying.
- It gives his enemies—and they are enemies—a stick to beat him with, since they obsess about the most trivial things he says or does anyway whether there is anything wrong with them or not.
- It reinforces the stereotype that he is an idiot.
- In doing so, it undermines his credibility and trust as a leader.
- It makes what is supposed to be an honor for the Chiefs into a joke.
- The gaffe alienates one entire state, if not two.
- It exhibits extreme carelessness.
- It potentially injures untold Americans, who rolled their eyes so hard that they risked blindness.
- A President should know the states and major cities of the nation he leads…without having to check.
If the President is determined to communicate directly to the public, he is obligated to do so with care, consideration, and competence. He doesn’t.
But we knew that.