I don’t care what you say, it’s a good morning.
1. Coronavirus ethics report. Today, ethics Alarms officially dubs the epidemic and ethics train wreck.
- Good one! Rudy Gobert, the 27-year-old centerfor the Utah Jazz, intentionally touched every surface, microphone and recorders during a session with reporters after the NBA had banned access to player in team locker rooms. He was making a pointed joke about the league’s alarmism over Covid-19. Three days later, he was diagnosed with the illness, and in response, the NBA suspended its season.
- ARRGHH! It’s what everyone thought it was!!!! The stock market crashed after the World Health Organization called the pandemic, which everyone including me had been calling a pandemic for weeks, a pandemic yesterday. I don’t understand that reaction at all.
- Adam Kucharski, a mathematician who specializes in measuring how diseases spread, told the New York Times that “on best available data, when we adjust for unreported cases and the various delays involved, we’re probably looking at a fatality risk of probably between maybe 0.5 and 2 percent for people with symptoms.” Obviously when you add people without symptoms who are infested, the fatality risk is lower. This means that President Trump’s “hunch” that the fatality rate was probably much lower than the 3% being widely quoted, for which he was attacked as a an idiot and a liar, was probably correct.
- A hint regarding what kind of values we’re teaching college students: Students at the University of Dayton in Ohio became furious that the school was closing because of COVID-19, so they rioted. An estimated 1,000 students at the University erupted into screaming and violence after they were told to leave campus over the Wuhan virus outbreak. At least one person was injured by a thrown bottle.
- Remember televangelists Jim and Tammy Bakker? Tammy’s copious TV weeping and dripping mascara? The scandal over hush money paid to a mousey church secretary, Jessica Hahn, for Jim Bakker allegedly raping her, leading to his resignation from the ministry? How the scandal turned Hahn into a professional bimbo, with a Playboy spread and a brief career hosting soft porn videos? Tammy and Jim divorced, and Jim ended up in prison for fraud…Ringing any bells? Now he’s back selling God on TV again, and last month started selling “Silver Solution” as a cure for Covid-19. Silver Solution “has been proven by the government that it has the ability to kill every pathogen it has ever been tested on, including SARS and HIV,” his guest told Bakker’s viewers. Four 4-ounce bottles could be yours, a message on the screen said, for just $80.Selling a fake “treatment” for the COVID-19 disease violates state and federal law. On Tuesday, the state of Missouri filed a lawsuit against Bakker and his production company to stop them from advertising or selling Silver Solution and related products as treatments for the coronavirus.
- Oh yeah, this helps a lot… Arthur Caplan, a professsor of bioethics at NYU, told the New York Times that without “social interventions to incentivize and support isolation, we are doomed.” Irresponsible fear-mongering. Even with the worst case scenarios, this isn’t the Spanish Flu, the Black Plague or ebola. We aren’t “doomed.”
2. Enemy of the People update. This gets its own section. In this kind of a situation, the need for not only accurate information, but accurate in formation delivered from sources that are both trustworthy and trusted, is crucial. Thanks to the near complete politicization of the news media, there is literally no way (except via blind faith that is, based on the news media’s performance, not merely unjustified but absurd) for a citizen to to know what motives are guiding the content and tone of news reports in evolving the epidemic. For example, here’s one usually level-headed conservative blogger’s analysis:
Yes, coronavirus is a pandemic because it’s everywhere in the world. That doesn’t mean it’s going to wipe out half the earth’s population. The media, however, is selling the flu as if it is a Black Death. Worse, it’s not just doing this because of the “if it bleeds it leads” principle in media. The people in the media are doing this specifically to attack Trump.
It’s late, so I’m not going to bother citing articles. You’ve seen it for yourself and you can easily confirm that the media attacks every single thing Trump has done. He’s racist, he’s paranoid, he’s lazy, he’s trying to hide things, he doesn’t know what he’s doing, he’s making political calculations, he’s firing important people, he’s not listening to the people around him. This is Trump’s Hurricane Katrina. PEOPLE WILL DIE!!
That is not reporting; it’s propaganda, and it’s done with a single aim: To keep Trump from being reelected.
The side effect of the media’s political calculation is that it’s destroying the American economy and the world economy. I’m fortunate enough that I can ride out the stock market roller coaster. Many are not so lucky. They are seeing their retirement funds, the ones they wanted to use in six months, being destroyed in real-time. Also, those that are buying into the panic are selling out for pennies on the dollar and may never recover from that.
Businesses are going to go bankrupt and people will lose their jobs — and this is exactly what the media wants. Trump’s strength is the economy so the media will destroy the economy to undercut Trump. This is a declaration of war against the well-being of the American people and there really is only one word for it: EVIL.
I’ve long been disgusted by the media but watching the game-playing with coronavirus has raised my disgust to the same level I feel for mass murderers. Left-wing journalists (which means most of America’s journalists) are committing mass economic murder against the American people. What kind of sick, disgusting, morally-indecent people do that kind of thing? And they’re doing it in the service of Joe Biden! They are destroying the American economy so that Joe Biden — senile, corrupt, perverted, stupid Joe Biden — can be the president.
The point isn’t whether this is true or not. The point is that there is literally no way to know if it is true, or how true it is. All one can do is decide what you want to believe. Those progressives who sincerely—though I don’t comprehend how anyone can still honestly believe this—think that mainstream media bias is a myth will dismiss it as ridiculous—but then their perception is also suspect. We should have to make these calls. With a trustworthy media devoted to facts without propaganda, we would know that what we were getting wasn’t hype, wasn’t selectively edited, and wasn’t driven by an agenda.
3. Can we settle on a name for this damn thing, please? I don’t care what it is, but let’s settle on it. In the process, let’s also designate anyone who seriously argues that the name Wuhan Virus is racist for appropriate punishment, like being stuffed into a barrel filled with fat Lithuanian midgets.
In related news, Rep. Ocasio Cortez actually claimed that people were avoiding Chinese restaurants out of whatever-you-call-it virus concerns because of racism.