“We will never compromise our principles. House Democrats will always put American values over autocracy. Benevolence over bigotry. The constitution over the cult. Democracy over demagogues. Economic opportunity over extremism. Freedom over fascism. Governing over gaslighting. Hopefulness over hatred. Inclusion over isolation. Justice over judicial overreach. Knowledge over Kangaroo courts. Liberty over limitation…..”
—-New Democrat Minority Leader Rep. Hakeem Jeffries following Republican Kevin McCarthy’s election as Speaker of the House
Is this the greatest gaslighting speech of all time? I can’t imagine a more blatant one. Let’s see:
- “American values over autocracy”…from the party that inflicted autocratic mask mandates and restrictions on travel, ans well as mandatory vaccination orders on the American public
- “Benevolence over bigotry”…from the party that champions the rejection of qualified white and Asian college applicants because of their skin color.
- “The Constitution over the cult”…from the party that wants to gut the Second Amendment over its anti-gun cultism, cripple the First Amendment to prevent “hate speech,” and invent rights, like the right to kill the unborn, that would have horrified the Constitution’s authors.
- “Democracy over demagogue”…from the party whose President delivered a speech pronouncing opposition to his policies as evidence of fascism.
- “Economic opportunity over extremism”….from a party that demonizes the wealthy and productive while seeking reparations for slavery taken from those who never owned slaves and transferred to those who have never been slaves.
- “Freedom over fascism”.…from a party whose members and supporters seek to silence dissent at universities, in the media and in the public square, while manipulating the news and social media to suppress public knowledge of inconvenient events.
- “Governing over gaslighting”….thus showing complete contempt for the perceptiveness and intelligence of the public the Democratic Party is trying to con.
- “Hopefulness over hatred”.…from the party that brands its opposition as racists, xenophobes, sexists and fascists.
- “Inclusion over isolation”.…from the party that demands 100% lockstep obeisance from its members
- “Justice over judicial overreach”.…from the party that supported harassment of Supreme court Justices that ruled against the judicial over-reach of Roe v. Wade/
- “Knowledge over Kangaroo courts”….Wow. From the party that has staged the January 6 hearings after packing the committee with only anti-Trump fanatics!
- “Liberty over limitation”.…from the party that is working to force Americans to accept life-altering limits on how they live, move and eat.
I find Jeffries’ confidence that the American public will fail to see the astounding hypocrisy and cynicism in these assertions and will not resent that Democrats think they are gullible fools most troubling of all.
Especially since he may be right.