This whole story is so ridiculous on so many levels that it nicely encapsulates just how stupid The Great Stupid has become. Allow me to explain…
Dave Hughes, 70, entered what was advertised as an all-women poker tournament at the Seminole Hard Rock Hotel & Casino in Florida and won $5,555. This somehow sparked outrage, but all-female poker tournaments are illegal in Florida, violating the state’s anti-discrimination laws. Any man could have entered, but for some reason, only he did. The other 82 players were female.
- Why are women even pretending to hold an all-female tournament? Weren’t all-male clubs thoroughly tarred as wrongful and discriminatory decades ago? Didn’t women’s rights activist argue successfully that separate was inherently unequal, and that gender segregated social groups kept women out of networks and power?
- Apparently it’s not illegal for a tournament to advertise itself as all-women, even though by law it can’t be all-women. It is, however, misleading, dishonest and unethical.
- Of all games or sports, none justifies gender segregation less than poker. Men should have no special advantage in a card game, and don’t. A women-only card game is exactly as unethical as a whites-only card game.
- The news stories about Hughes entering and winning the tournament all make a point of noting that he was “bearded.” This is because moronic but woke reporters and editors were attempting to confound this story with the episodes of obvious males “identifying” as female winning women’s sports events like powerlifting. This is fake news and flogging a narrative at the expense of public comprehension—but then that’s journalism today. Hughes didn’t “identify”as female to make a point. He didn’t have to! He entered as a male and won as a male, in a game where naughty bits confer no competitive advantage whatsoever.
- Incredibly and hypocritically, some of the female players were resentful, though a woman entering an all-male poker game would be considered heroic. Some even offered a “bounty” to any player who eliminated him. Player Ebony Kenney tweeted“I really wish men would get what these events stand for. So I put a $300 bounty on his head and Tamra & Noah Piderit matched it. Let’s get him.” Wait: what do these events “stand for”? Cowardice? Discrimination? Fear of competing with men? Double standards? Stupidity?
- Here’s a typical moronic reaction from one of the female players, Poker Hall of Famer Linda Johnson, in an interview with Poker News :
“I love ladies-only poker tournaments. I would have no problem with them having a men’s only and I wouldn’t enter it as I would not qualify for it. I would have no problem if they had a tournament for 26-year-old, motorcycle riding, Mohawk-haircut seniors and I wouldn’t enter it because I wouldn’t qualify. I don’t think men should play in ladies-only tournaments. That said, I think there is a total overreaction to the few men who do enter. They are usually looking for attention, so why give it to them? Maybe we should just ignore them and play our best. This is just my two cents and you are welcome to your own thoughts on this.”
Wow. I guess you can be really skilled at poker and not comprehend the Bill of Rights, anti-discrimination laws and the ethical problem with apartheid. How do you feel about professional baseball leagues that are only for white players, you cretin? That might have been a tough question in, say, 1947. And no, the men aren’t looking for attention, they are looking for $5,555. “Maybe we should just ignore them and play our best,” she concludes. Sharp as a a tack, that Linda!
Charlie Carrel, a British poker player, entered the Idiot Sweepstakes, which were obviously open to both sexes, with this fatuous analysis:
“It pokes fun at the idea that anybody can identify as a woman and be allowed to enter women’s spaces. It’s a real issue that people are taking advantage of in many different areas, including sports, prisons and changing areas. This has lead to some horrific repercussions (female inmates being raped in prison, or women getting destroyed in MMA fights by somebody who spent 95% of their life as a man). It does suck that it comes at the expense of the women’s only space. I wouldn’t do it, even though I probably share the same criticisms. Female only spaces in poker are really needed. Mixed poker can often be absolutely horrendous environments for women to be a part of. The trans issue is a lot easier to handle in poker, as the stakes are relatively low. The difference between male and female players is negligible enough that the incentive for men to join women’s spaces isn’t really there. It does speak loudly to the insanity that’s playing out on a larger scale”
Moron. Hughes wasn’t identifying as a woman, so the episode has exactly nothing to do with the trans issue whatsoever. Nor is a poker match a “women’s only space,” and can’t be by law. This guy is completely confused.
But then so is almost everyone else participating in the trans-in-sports debate. The news media like it that way—the more confused people are, the more gullible they are, and the more easily manipulated.
And The Great Stupid keeps rolling along…
18 thoughts on “Weird Tales Of The Great Stupid: The Phony Women’s Poker Tournament”
I, for one, cannot imagine a more traditionally, ridiculously, hyper testosterone-laden enterprise than poker. Come on, it’s a guy’s night out thing. To sit around a table, smoke cigars and drink beer or whiskey and bitch about the little ladies is simply a thing. Probably more myth than reality, but still a thing. So, I suspect there are women poker players who want all that stuff eliminated so they can play poker and have it be more like bridge night. But of course, professional, competitive poker, is an entirely different thing. I doubt they allow smoking and I’m also going to assume the contestants stay sober. If some players have an advantage in bluffing because they’re guys or women, that’s just part of the deal. From the very little I’ve seen on TV, the pro women poker players seem to use their looks and other assets as distractors.
Agreed… I think this is a place where the law overstepped. There may not be any physiological or psychological reason why a man could claim the prize, but just like the burka-wearing chess tournament participant posted here months ago, self-selection bias is at play and the much smaller pool of individuals interested in the activity causes a much weaker pool of contenders. I’m sure any of the female players would mop the floor against any contender who is in the “26-year-old, motorcycle riding, Mohawk-haircut seniors” pool.
His winning is a pretty clear indicator of disparity.
“This whole story is so ridiculous on so many levels that it nicely encapsulates just how stupid The Greta Stupid has become. ”
Got a post on Greta Thunberg in the works?
I think Jack should change “The Great Stupid” TO “The Greta Stupid” in honor of perhaps its most iconic super star.
Always. I’ll fix that typo, though.
Jack are you against fraternities and sororities?
What about the Ancient Order of Hibernians?
Yes, I detest fraternities and sororities, though they are not illegal any place I am aware of. My college, objectionable in so many ways, had the good sense to abolish them decades ago.
Why do you detest them?
What about fraternities like Ancient order of Hibernians?
Or the Knights of Columbus or other religious and civic organizations. I think they’re okay insofar as the members are adults and the purposes are charitable. My primary objections to fraternities has always been initiations. Why would anyone willingly submit to being humiliated to join an organization of guys who enjoy humiliating others? Who’d want to associate with either of those groups?
The many, many hazing horribles are enough. They both generate toxic cultures. Some are relatively benign, but not sufficiently to justify the phenomenon.
I know this is not your typo, Jack, but it is high up on my pet peeve list:
“This has lead to some horrific repercussions ….”
The one that drives me crazy is “graduate third grade,” rather than “graduate from third grade.” Too redneck, but you see it everywhere these days. And then there’s “He disrespected me.” Evidently “disrespect” is in fact an old-time verb, but I think it’s better left as a noun. I don’t recall it ever being used as a verb until the last ten years or so when it surfaced as a gang banger word justifying killing someone.
Isn’t it graduateD from third grade?
Graduating is something done to you, not something you do, no?
Yeah, I’ve heard that argument, but I don’t buy it. Hah! So there. One goes to a graduation ceremony and graduates. One goes from level to another. Active verb, in my book.
From what college did you graduate? Not, what college graduated you. When will you graduate? Not, when will you be graduated. He’s a graduating senior. Not, he’s a senior who will be graduated.
High on the list? Wow. Got me wondering what might get 38 exclamations. Or 40!
One of mine that is unfortunately widesit.pread is loose for lose.
I should be over it, but it is painful every time I see
Oh sure, a typo in a post griping about typos.
What the heck is widesit.pread? It’s hard even to duplicate deliberately.