Combine the comments I’m getting from the “cannibelles” launched at Ethics Alarms from the “Wisconsin Sickness” website (“Personal conduct has no bearing on professional trustworthiness!“), and add the film negative of the recently posted Ethics Hero, the selfless pastor, add some eye of newt, and ABRACADABRA! You get…. Christ Tabernacle Missionary Baptist Church of Jacksonville, Florida, whose pastor, Darrell Gilyard, is a registered sex offender!
And of recent vintage, too. This apparently doesn’t faze the good parishioners of Christ Tabernacle Missionary Baptist because—well. pick your rationalization…I’m sure they have:
- “There but the grace of God go I!”
- “Everybody deserves one mistake!”
- “Let Him who is without sin cast the first stone!”
- “Who are we to judge?”
- “It’s not like he killed someone!”
- “What he does in his private life is nobody’s business!”
- Look at the Catholics! At least our pastor molests girls!
- “Christians believe in redemption!”
- “It doesn’t matter: he’s an excellent preacher!”
Gilyard’s last church wasn’t so understanding, but then it was that congregation’s underage girls who he pleaded guilty to molesting in 2009. You can’t blame them too much for being intolerant.
But his new church is being reasonable about this as well as broad-minded; they are taking the responsible course. Children aren’t allowed in church while Gilyard is preaching.