Or fine her two million dollars?
Donald Sterling expresses racist sentiments in a private conversation in his home and his bedroom, and becomes a national pariah. he is fined millions, and forced to sell his property, his NBA team. He is attacked in columns, blogs and news broadcasts as “disgusting”..”vile”..”the worst of the worst.” His players threaten to refuse to play.
Whoopi Goldberg expresses racist sentiments on a nationally broadcast TV show. Industry sources say that her “clout” on the view is getting stronger; she is the only host who is not fired, or leaving for other reasons.
Yes, it really is that simple. Like Sterling,Whoopi Goldberg is a racist. She has far more visibility and negative influence on the culture than Donald Sterling. Why doesn’t ABC regard her as a detriment to its reputation and business as much as the NBA does Sterling? There are several reasons:
- The media and too much of the public accepts a blatant, hypocritical double standard.
- African-American celebrities, politicians and artists, as well as women, are given far more leniency and held to far less accountability for their offensive, racist and sexist statements and conduct. Such lower standards are degrading to them, if useful. Habitual big mouthed bullies like Goldberg exploit the license habitually. The only differences between Goldberg and Alec Baldwin are pigmentation and a y-chromosome. That’s enough to get Baldwin fired from his gigs, and Whoopie extended in hers.
- White celebrities and colleagues, unlike Sterling’s black team members, have yet to show the integrity and courage to challenge Goldberg, call her what she his, condemn her racism, and refuse to work with her. They should.
- The mostly liberal pundits are hypocrites, and refuse to condemn one of their own.
Debating, of all things, political correctness on The View with conservative commentator Will Cain, Whoopi was getting thrashed, because her reasoning abilities, education and experience lag far behind her arrogance, certitude, and emotionalism. So, naturally, she indulged in an ad hominem attack as well as racial and gender stereotyping, denigrating Cain’s argument and suggesting bias with the slur, “That is spoken like a true white guy.”
The attack, by the way, was called a “quip” by the flagrantly biased Huffington Post. If Cain had come back with “And spoken like a true, black high school drop-out, Whoopi!,” would that also have been a “quip”?
Whoopi had been arguing, lamely, for social censorship, saying that “we have a history of utilizing words to harm people and hurt people and the people who have been on the other side of it, I think are at the point where they’re saying, this is not okay anymore.” It’s not okay, and by the way, you’re opinions are not worthy of respect because you’re white. No offense! Goldberg doesn’t comprehend such nuances as self-contradiction, hypocrisy and irony, you wee. No matter! She’s on the “right” side, and the “right” color.
Just as a review, here’s just some of what’s wrong with what Whoopi said, the sentiments she expressed, and the ugly stereotypes she wants to perpetrate:
- It attempts to devalue an opinion based on the race of the individual holding it. That’s racism.
- It implies that white people’s opinions are not as valid as those of non-white people. That’s racism.
- It uses the race of an adversary as a weapon against his position, rather than rebutting the position itself. That’s bullying, unfair debate tactics, and, oh yeah, racism.
- It uses Cain’s race to attempt to silence him. Racism, and also unfair.
- It reduces the debate to name calling. That’s uncivil, and also a dishonest debate tactic.
- It’s really, really stupid. Believing that words and ideas shouldn’t be banned because some people find them “offensive” isn’t a white concept, or a male concept. It’s called an American concept.
What would have been the reaction, I wonder, if Cain had said, “Whoopi, that comment exposes you as a bigot, a sexist and a hypocrite. If you can’t argue the merits of your position, and you obviously can’t, without trying to undermine me with racial attacks, then you are a disgrace to The View, and ABC. No white male, as well as no fair and unbiased person of any gender and color, should be willing to work with you, even by your own rules. I’m leaving, and I’m not returning to this show or any other that tolerates racist bullies as hosts” ?
Cain didn’t, of course, because even he has been cowed into accepting the double standard, and recoils from calling a black racist what she has just proven that she is. Whoopie’s racism and bullying works, you see. It will continue to work, too, until whites, men, and fair Americans all treat her exactly like she wanted Donald Sterling to be treated.