The comments on leftist websites—-yes, I include the Washington Post and the New York Times—often make me reconsider my criticism of Michael Savage’s best selling book title, “Liberalism is a Mental Disorder.” The comments on most conservative websites, however, make me want to have my human race credentials revoked.
Take the comments on Citizen Free Press…please. The surging conservative news aggregator has taken a lot of clicks from The Drudge Report since the latter went ostentatiously NeverTrump. It is occasionally a useful resource, but the more I use it, the more showers I have to take. For example…
Isimemen Etute, 18, of Virginia Beach, a Virginia Tech freshman football player (I assume he was also a student?) has been charged with second-degree murder for beating a man to death after discovering that the 40-year-old he met on Tinder as “Angie,” was a man, Jerry Smith, rather than a woman. They had apparently had some kind of sexual contact on their first meeting, but on the second a month later, the ruse was revealed. Etute told police he punched and stomped on Smith’s head and “heard gurgling” before leaving him to die.
Don’t ask me how one could have a sexual encounter with a man and believe he was a woman, but there are stranger versions of this plot.
But the comments on the story on the Citizens Free Press link are more than depressing; they are frightening. The people who wrote the vast majority of them would need a serious upgrade to reach “deplorables” status. Ready?
- “Im not saying it was justified but if you are a man that wants to be a woman then u should at least be honest cause you are not a woman just because u think u are.”
- “That’s a helluva name for someone from ‘Virginia Beach'”
- “2nd degree murder is bullish:t. This kid didn’t expect this in his whole life. WTH did the other guy think, it was ok to screw with a heterosexual’s head and btw things will be ok. Two lives sadly gone for what, deviance, a guy thinking he was gal. Fkn sad state man all around.”
- “Everyone seems to be missing the point here, what the hell is this guy doing looking for a 40 year old woman couldn’t he find someone a little bit hotter than this dude? A college football player are you kidding should be in tail heaven.”
- “Justifiable homicide.”
- “2 birds with 1 stone
- “Put me on the jury. Please. Innocent of all charges your Honor!”
- “Fry that monkey!!!”
- “Dont lie that you have a pee pee and you won’t get clipped. Stop shoveing homo shit down peoples throat !”
- “Footballer is a moron!! The dead one’s bent. So who cares?”
These ten were the worst of just the first 26 comments. The rest were either incoherent or non-responsive. One out of the 26 would make it past moderation at Ethics Alarms.
The general array was one of illiterate, hateful, ugly racism and bigotry. Is this the core of the American Right today? If so, that is a serious problem bor conservatives, and America.
If these are the kinds of comments your blog or website attracts, who are you serving?