As reported a few days ago here, Item#6, the Biden Administration is reportedly considering compensating illegal immigrant families separated at the southern U.S. border by the Trump Administration as a result of the latter’s “zero-tolerance” policy. The program could theoretically pay out more than $1 billion, with payouts of around $450,000 per person or $1 million per family. The American Civil Liberties Union has been championing this crazy idea, though how paying taxpayer funds to illegal aliens lines up with the organization;s mission is a mystery.
Apparently nobody told Joe Biden about this compassionate plan. When Fox News correspondent Peter Doocy asked Biden if the payments, which were first reported last week could incentivize even more illegal immigration—gee, ya think?—the POTUS replied, “If you guys keep sending that garbage out? Yeah. But it’s not true…$450,000 per person — is that what you’re saying? That’s not gonna happen.”
This came as a surprise to the ACLU. “President Biden may not have been fully briefed about the actions of his very own Justice Department,” the ACLU responded.
There are all manner of ethics violations at work here: pick one:
- Honesty? Biden, realizing that giving money to illegal immigrants who placed their children in a perilous situation is not going to help his tumbling popularity, was just lying and blaming the news media.
- Fairness? Biden defaults to insulting Doocy and “you guys” when he’s the one responsible for the confusion.
- Competence? Biden doesn’t know what his own administration is planning.
- Communication? Biden’s subordinates have an ethical obligation to tell the President what he needs to know. I’d say he needs to know if his own administration is preparing to hand out a billion dollars to illegals.
- Trustworthiness? Why would Americans trust a President who doesn’t know what’s going on in his own administration? HOW could they trust such a leader?
What ever is going on, it’s not good. Concludes the NY Post in an editorial, “We have no doubt the Journal’s reporting is correct. A shakedown by the ACLU and solving everything with a big check is directly from the liberal playbook. And it will, as Doocy notes, encourage even more migrants to illegally cross the border — something neither the ACLU nor the administration thinks is a bad thing.”
And still, if you believe the polls, about 50% of the country still approves of this Presidency. What wouldn’t they approve of?