[You watch this at your own risk, and if you go blind or your brain melts, you were warned.]
I was wishing and hoping that YouTube would post this, because yesterday it was only available on platforms that WordPress won’t embed. And behold! There it was this morning. Yet another Christmas miracle!
I blush to admit that I have a lot of experience with this kind of earnest, faux-cheery performing: I’ve performed, choreographed and directed such junk myself. Never in the past 30 years, and never with performers in their thirties, however. Kids were best: they can get away with it. This “Up With People” -style horror was annoying when it was in vogue, but now it can only be justified as camp. To see middle-aged adults like this is excruciating, or should be. (I couldn’t last the full 2+ minutes. I just couldn’t)
I also note:
- Some of the group is maskless, and some are not. This makes no sense, but almost all of the anti-Wuhan measures make no sense.
- Fact: you can’t sing effectively with a mask on. That’s why the soloists aren’t masked: they would sound muffled. If they can’t sing with masks, neither can the chorus.
- Shouldn’t nurses wear medical-quality masks? Are those masks just for show? Why is Jill Biden not wearing a mask? Isn’t she a doctor?
4. They rhymed “laughter” with “rafter.” Most competent interpreters of the “Mame” standard with Jerry Herman’s worst couplet slip in an “s” to help him save face in Songwriter Heaven. Stephen Sondheim was smirking…
5. Can you imagine the mockery from TV comics and assorted Trump haters if President Trump and Melania had featured a bad dinner theater act like this? The pundits would be having a ball impugning the President’s square, uncool, pedestrian tastes, unlike his sainted predecessor, who had actual rappers and hip-hop stars accustomed to spouting words like “ho’s” and “nigga” as honored performers. You know. Cool.
IIPTDXTTNMIAFB, in case you’ve missed it, means“Imagine if President Trump did X that the news media is accepting from Biden.” To the extend the non-conservative media is mentioning this horror at all, it is in the “Republicans pounce!” vein: when conservatives screw up, that’s the story. When the media’s allies screw up, the mean Republican reaction is the story.