I would have an easier time ruling that the latest conservative trolling tavtic of sending illegal immigrants to ostentatiously woke “sanctuary cities” (and islands) is unethical if the residents and politicians in those locales could just keep their mouths shut and show some integrity and consistency. But they just can’t do it. Not only do they have no shame, they have no shame about having no shame. How, for example, can the Martha’s Vineyard hypocrites who sport that obnoxious, virtue signalling sign on their front lawn continue to go through life without hiding their heads under a bag?
It took less than 24 hours for the rich enclave of progressives, where poor Alan Dershowitz find himself a pariah for criticizing Democratic efforts to criminalize politics, to ship the 50 imports from Florida to this charming military base:
A sign like that in Martha’s Vineyard is like a “Welcome Sharks!” sign in Amity. Conservatives are gloating, and they have every reason to gloat. And mock. And point. Honestly, how can these people—this whole political party—bear to look at itself in the mirror?
1. But wait! There’s more! Speaking of not having the sense to shut up, I give you Hillary Clinton, who told “Morning Joe” that sending illegals to Martha’s Vineyard was “literally human trafficking.” Pausing to mock and point, Prof. Turley explained why this is “legal nonsense,” reminding readers that Hillary is a lawyer:
So MSNBC and these legal experts are telling the public that the consensual transport of migrants within the country constitutes human trafficking. Human trafficking is not synonymous with moving human in traffic. It is a legal term and a serious crime. It is always dangerous to introduce actual law into these legal claims, but it is worth noting a couple of salient facts.
This is not a program designed to put people in “peonage” under 18 U.S.C. 1581. Under 22 U.S.C. § 7102(11), prosecutions are based on “sex trafficking in which a commercial sex act is induced by force, fraud, or coercion, or in which the person induced to perform such act has not attained 18 years of age” and “the recruitment, harboring, transportation, provision, or obtaining of a person for labor or services, through the use of force, fraud, or coercion for the purpose of subjection to involuntary servitude, peonage, debt bondage or slavery.”
Neither is at play in this program.
Heads. Bags. Facts Don’t Matter.
2. And even more!
- Presidential aspirant Gavin Newsom, the governor of the state where ethics go to die, tweeted that “What Gov Ron DeSantis and Gov. Greg Abbott TX are doing isn’t clever, it’s cruel. I’m formally requesting the DOJ begin an immediate investigation into these inhumane efforts to use kids as political pawns.” Wow, I’m going to have to create a hypocrisy scale. The Open Borders progressives have applauded the illegal use of children by border-breaching aliens, and revved up the “Think of the children!” chorus to a scream when President Trump had to separate alien children from illegally migrating parents in the same emergency enclosures Obama used, but Newsom wants to investigate Republicans….hoping to be able to lock them up, I assume.
- But cruelty is cruelty: From The Daily Mail:
Apocalyptic El Paso: Shocking photos show 1,000 migrants sleeping on border city’s streets which now resemble ‘a third-world country’ with no sanitation Nearly 1,000 migrants have been released in El Paso in the past week, as the border crisis continues. Many have been left sleeping on the street without access to toilets or showers, causing vile conditions.Surge of migrants, mostly from Venezuela, has overwhelmed Border Patrol across Texas. With facilities overwhelmed, many are being dropped off near bus stations and left to fend for themselves.
‘It’s almost apocalyptic,’ says US Rep. Tony Gonzales, with El Paso also likened to a third world country
Meanwhile, MSNBC reported: “Migrants are actually thanking Gov. Ron DeSantis for having brought them to Martha’s Vineyard.” Shhhhhh! You fools! Hillary and “Morning Joe” just said they were literally victims of human trafficking!
- NBCNews tweeted, “Florida Gov. DeSantis sending asylum-seekers to Martha’s Vineyard is like “me taking my trash out and just driving to different areas where I live and just throwing my trash there,” a founding member of a foundation which helps refugees says.”
Oooo, good analogy there, illegal immigrant activist! Imagine if, say, Donald Trump compared “asylum-seekers” to trash.
Keep it up, you assholes.
3. But don’t worry, the Associated Press is on the case! The Washington Free Beacon reports how the Associate Press worked to tamp down public alarm at the border crisis by Orwellian language restraints, naturally:
While internal Customs and Border Protection documents repeatedly refer to an immigration “surge” at the border, according to records reviewed by the Washington Free Beacon, the AP recommends journalists no longer use such descriptions to avoid offense and maintain supposed “neutrality.” …The move by AP, a response to left-wing activists who demanded gentler language from reporters when covering immigration, fundamentally changed how newsrooms across the country covered the Biden administration’s response to a historical influx of migrants in the president’s first 100 days in office. A range of outlets, from local newspapers to national publications like the Washington Post, look to the AP for language guidance. The AP pressed news outlets in March to “avoid imagery conjuring war or natural disaster, which could portray migrants as a negative, harmful influence. Avoid emotive words like onslaught, tidal wave, flood, inundation, surge, invasion, army, march, sneak, and stealth.” But Customs and Border Protection officials told the Free Beacon that they hold weekly meetings they call “surge meetings” to discuss ways to process the thousands of migrants flooding into the country. The use of the word “surge” in immigration-related stories was commonplace across a multitude of publications, including the AP itself, in the early days of the border crisis but drew criticism from activists as the Biden administration sought to dispel the idea that it is grappling with a full-blown crisis. America’s largest wire service—and the standard-bearer for journalistic style through the AP Stylebook—bowed to the pressure campaign. A March 25 Washington Post op-ed by the editorial director of the pro-immigration site Futuro Media revealed that AP changed its directive at the demands of activists. Julio Varela said in his column he complained to the AP about the use of words like “surge” in its immigration coverage, suggesting news outlets use “entering,” “crossing the border,” and “increase” instead. The AP told Varela his complaint came at the perfect time: Editors there were already “discussing word choices internally” and just assembled a memo addressing concerns by Latino activists. Varela, pleased with the news, called on the rest of the media to follow suit lest they be accused of using a “dehumanizing term.”…Shortly thereafter, left-wing members of Congress such as New York congresswoman Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D.) told supporters that using the word “surge” is a “white supremacist idea.” The AP’s recommendations were adopted by news organizations such as Politico, which asked its staff, among other things, to no longer describe the unprecedented flood of illegal immigrants to the southern border as a “crisis.”… In 2013, the AP ordered its reporters to stop using the term “illegal immigrant”….
Surprisingly, the AP refused to comment on the story. Nah, there’s no mainstream media bias!