Scandals? In the Obama Administration? Of course not! David Brooks said so, remember?
“President Obama has run an amazingly scandal-free administration, not only he himself, but the people around him. He’s chosen people who have been pretty scandal-free. And so there are people in Washington who do set a standard of integrity, who do seem to attract people of quality.”
The IRS targeting conservative groups to blunt their influence on an election? Not a scandal! HHS rolling out a non-functional website for Obamacare that cost 2 billion dollars? The Veterans Administration being mismanaged at epic proportions while veterans died waiting for care? Jonathan Gruber’s declaration that Obamacare depended upon the “stupidity of American voter”? The Secret Service showing utter incompetence repeatedly? The head of the CIA giving classified information to his mistress? The NSA allowing a low-level contractor to steal and publish crucial secrets? The Office of Personnel Management allowing hundreds of thousands of government employees to have their sensitive information hacked? Unprecedented sexual harassment and assault in the Armed Services? Fast and Furious? Wait, wasn’t there a Secretary of State who violated her own department’s security policies, covered it up, lied about it, and did so with the knowledge of the President? The Attorney General meeting with the husband of a target of an FBI investigation, when that husband was the former President who once promoted that AG? No scandals?
Nah, President Barack Obama administration is scandal free!
I was watching CNN and Headline News this morning specifically to see if the Washington Post’s scoop last night was deemed worthy of mention. Of course, it wasn’t, and so far, almost all of the mainstream news media apparently believes that it’s less important for Americans to know about than, well, just about everything. Here what Google’s software ways are the top stories based on what the web is reporting:
Manchester United F.C.
New York Jets
Clearly, what the Post’s Craig Whitlock and Bob Woodward reported last night is trivia—fake news, really, since we know there are no scandals in the Obama Administration:
The Pentagon has buried an internal study that exposed $125 billion in administrative waste in its business operations amid fears Congress would use the findings as an excuse to slash the defense budget, according to interviews and confidential memos obtained by The Washington Post. Pentagon leaders had requested the study to help make their enormous back-office bureaucracy more efficient and reinvest any savings in combat power. But after the project documented far more wasteful spending than expected, senior defense officials moved swiftly to kill it by discrediting and suppressing the results.
You know: integrity!
I could just leave the post at that, but a few rueful observations are clawing at the inside of my skull:
1. I am reminded of the best exchange from the original “Independence Day,” when the weak U.S. President, played by Bill Pullman, learns that there really is an Area 51, that is huge, and that he never knew about. Judd Hirsch, doing an embarrassing Borscht Belt impression of an elderly Jewish man, is incredulous:
President Thomas Whitmore: I don’t understand, where does all this come from? How do you get funding for something like this?
Julius Levinson: You don’t actually think they spend $20,000 on a hammer, $30,000 on a toilet seat, do you?
2. Did you wonder how the national debt increased by about a third in just 8 years?
3. How much money is 125 billion dollars in budget terms? Well, lets look at discretionary spending in last year’s budget:
All the spending on energy and the environment…
40 billion dollars
plus all the discretionary spending on transportation…
26 billion dollars
plus Social Security, labor and unemployment…
30 billion dollars
plus food and agriculture…
13 billion dollars
…comes to “only”
109 billion dollars, or
16 billion less than the Defense Department wasted all by itself.
Then, to make sure that nobody noticed and the public wouldn’t learn about it with an election coming up, and that the Obama Administration remain “scandal free,” of course, they covered it up. They needn’t have bothered; Headline News thought that showing a Miley Cyrus duet with Dolly Parton was more worthy of the its precious time than informing the public of where their taxes go.
5. You may have noticed that the news media is flogging the “fake news” angle as part of its effort to undermine legitimate conservative reporting and Donald Trump’s victory. If the left-biased mainstream media doesn’t report it, the news must be “fake.” The truth is that the mainstream media makes fake news credible by deliberately withholding real news, a practice that tells the false story that the news never happened.
6. I apologize for the tone of this post. I’m blowing off steam, I admit it. But everything about the story—the waste, the cover-up, the two term trend of incompetence in the Obama Administration, the hypocrisy of the “fake news” spin and the continuing attempted manipulation of public opinion by journalists infuriates me.