Activists who have neither knowledge nor understanding of the government, the Constitution, civics and basic political realities should be accorded no respect, attention or influence. Since their pronouncements and assertions are based on bad information and misconceptions (and perhaps stupidity), who cares what they think about an issue? The news media should ignore them; politicians should ignore them; everyone should ignore them. Well, except to mock them. They deserved to be mocked.
This brings us to Shaun King, the Black Lives Matter activist and writer—and the fact that someone as ignorant as King can make a living as a writer is disturbing in itself. He is on the staff of The New York Daily News as the “senior justice writer.” I’ll remind you of this later.
King just delivered his signature significance self-exposé via his favorite mode of communication, social media, in this case, Twitter. This means that many thousands of his followers, as well as the news media, now have incontrovertible evidence to prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that he knows less about the country he lives in and its government than we should expect from a 7th grader.
Yesterday, King announced on Twitter what he called “serious but wild” questions. Sit down for this. I mean it.
1. Can the people of the United States somehow hold a vote now, or next year, to oust Donald Trump? Like a recall of some sort?
In laymen’s terms, what would it take for the USA to pass a Constitutional Amendment for a President Recall like CA has for a Governor?
Uh oh…I was afraid of this…
There goes the head…
It’s almost insulting to point out what is wrong with these moronic questions, so I’ll keep it short.
Answer to the first question: No. You idiot.
Answers to the second: 1) Look it up. The document is called “The Constitution.” 2) A miracle.
1. Both questions, though especially the first, disqualify King from any role in serious national policy discourse, though, to be fair, his earlier statements did that as well.
2. Who knows what Shaun would think if he ever had a decent education in history and civics?
3. In addition to demonstrating inexcusable ignorance, the tweets show stunning laziness and stupidity. The man really doesn’t know how foolish these questions make him appear!
4. Here is the really scary part, though: how many of his followers recognize his tweets for the confession of incompetence and ignorance they are?
5. Now the reminder I promised: Shaun King is on the staff of The New York Daily News as the “senior justice writer.” That’s right: a big city daily employs as a senior justice writer someone who knows as much about the Constitution as my dog, who doesn’t know how to check the Constitution using Google, and is too lazy to try before announcing his ignorance to the world. The paper pays him. To inform their readers. Which he is incapable of doing. What does this tell us about the The New York Daily News, its management and editors?