I wouldn’t have thought that a Trump Administration employee’s unethical conduct could make my head explode. I thought I was safe. After all, my hopes may be too high, but my expectations are so low. But there are my brains, dripping off the ceiling.
President Trump has a ludicrous burning crisis of chaotic management, undisciplined leadership, incompetent subordinates and mass competition for the National Foot-Shooting Championship. I suggested that months ago that this could only be addressed by the President appointing an experienced political professional with proven management skills and leadership ability to whip the White House into shape. President Trump had a better solution to the burning crisis: throw the human gasoline named Anthony Scaramucci on it!
What an idiot.
Yes, the Incompetent Elected Official of this post is President Donald J. Trump.
But the rest is all Scaramucci, the new White House Communications Director with no experience or acumen in the field of communications and public relations. This was immediately evident from his first substantial communication with the news media, a vulgar, unprofessioal, undignified, embrrassing and vicious phone interview with the New Yorker’s Ryan Lizza unlike any interview by any White House figure ever.
Highlights, or rather points of signature significance, each showing that a) the man is an arrogant asshole and 2) President Trump possesses no judgment in his choices of staff whatsoever. Negative judgment.
1. He said, “I’m not [Trump advisor] Steve Bannon, I’m not trying to suck my own cock … I’m not trying to build my own brand off the fucking strength of the President. I’m here to serve the country.”
2. After Lizza asked Scaramucci about a private dinner that he had with President Trump, Scaramucci boasted: “I fired one guy the other day. I have three to four people I’ll fire tomorrow. I’ll get to the person who leaked that to you. Reince Priebus—if you want to leak something—he’ll be asked to resign very shortly.”
3. Scaramucci imitated what he thought Priebus would sound like while leaking the news to the press: “Oh, Bill Shine is coming in. Let me leak the fucking thing and see if I can cock-block these people the way I cock-blocked Scaramucci for six months.’”
4. He said, “What I want to do is I want to fucking kill all the leakers and I want to get the President’s agenda on track so we can succeed for the American people.”
5. He threatening to extort other White House aides: “O.K., the Mooch showed up a week ago … This is going to get cleaned up very shortly, O.K.? Because I nailed these guys. I’ve got digital fingerprints on everything they’ve done through the F.B.I. and the fucking Department of Justice.”
6. Describing Trump Chief of Staff Priebus as “a fucking paranoid schizophrenic, a paranoiac.” He then said that he was prepared to aggravate him, saying, “Yeah, let me go, though, because I’ve gotta start tweeting some shit to make this guy crazy.”
After this was published, Scaramucci tweeted that he often used colorful language but would not speak in such terms in the future, and suggested that he thought the interview was either off the record, or that Lizza would quote him without the obscenities. Then he said that he wouldn’t trust the news media again.
That’s right: this macho-talking frat-boy posturing, preening mega-jerk is in charge of public relations, and he’s shocked that he can’t trust a news media that is out to destroy his boss not to help him sound revolting in an interview.
This fool used gutter language while representing the White House, the President and the United States. He lapped his boorish and uncivil boss in boorishness and incivility. He denigrated not one but two of his White House colleagues in disgusting terms. He threatened and postured. To say that the interview was unprofessional is an undeserved compliment. It was professionalism anti-matter. I don’t even want to think about the damage a Type A power-mad egomaniac like Scaramucci might do in a position of influence. Nobody who speaks like this to a journalist can be trusted in any way whatsoever.
Here is what would happen in an ethical, professional, competent White House…which, of course, we don’t have:
- Steve Bannon and Reince Priebus would demand that Scaramucci be fired, and resign if he is not.
If their boss wouldn’t stand up for them and properly punish a member of the staff who undermines colleagues, embarrasses them, threatens them and does so in public at a time when the White House already has so many fires flaming out of control that it looks like Bambi’s mother’s death scene, then he is not worth their loyalty.
- The President would fire Scaramucci immediately. No apology is sufficient or should be accepted. The Mooch embarrassed everyone, especially the President. It would not have been worse if he had stumbled on stage drunk during a Trump press conference and vomited on the lectern. Someone like Scaramucci is death, and I mean cold, dark, stinking rotting death, to the culture of any organization. He will poison every one and everything that comes in contact with him. I have worked in organizations large and small, famous and obscure, powerful and meek, and not one of them would tolerate an executive who, to take just one example from the interview, publicly described a colleague as “trying to suck his own cock.” If I were Scaramucci’s superior, he would find his possessions in a cardboard box on the White House lawn and his office door bolted with a Marine in front of it today.
Trump won’t do any of this, of course. I can hardly believe it, would be possible but the conclusion is becoming unavoidable that he is even a bigger idiot than I thought he was. I didn’t think anyone could be a bigger idiot than I thought he was.
* Referring, once again, to this post…