As we face these challenging times, we at Ethics Alarms salute the heroes, the indomitable, the resolute and the vibrant, who endure with good will and good cheer for the well-being of the community. We are Americans, and we are in this together, and
IF I HAVE to listen to insincere, calculated, virtue-signaling crap like this many more times, something is going to ‘pop!’ in my head and I’ll be grabbing the nearest long, sharp implement and leaving the confines of these walls to begin the historic Alexandria Massacre.
Go ahead! Test me!
The rule in our house is that any channel that runs a commercial that begins with “In these..” or that shows someone wearing a facemask or looking at a webcam will be switched to another channel, never to be revisited during that day. If everyone follows this simple rule, and makes their policy known, maybe we’ll be able to halt this torture.
1. What’s going on here? Is the idea now to proclaim how biased the news media is and the double standards it uses and mock those of us who care by showing there’s not a thing we can do with it? Is that it? Governor Cuomo actually said at a press conference yesterday that the pandemic virus came from Europe in January and “no one knew” about it. “With all the sophistication, with all the public health organizations, with that whole alphabet soup of agencies, nobody knew the virus was coming from Europe,” the governor said, on the same day he finally retracted his deadly order requiring nursing homes to take in infected, elderly residents. Then he called the virus “The European Virus.” He really did. No, seriously. I’m not making this up.
The mainstream news media just ignored this idiocy yesterday, though President Trump calling the virus the Chinese virus, which except for the obscure papers Cuomo was apparently citing, is consistent with what most researchers have concluded about its origin, was attacked as racist because, you know, Big Lie #4. Cuomo’s atrocious decision to expose nursing homes has also been barely covered in the left-leaning media.
2. If you are wondering why Ethics Alarms hasn’t covered in any detail the apparent emerging evidence that President Obama was intimately involved in the scheme to frame Michael Flynn, it is because there is literally no news source I can trust. Conservative sources are stating outright that Obama is squarely in “What did the President know and when did he know it” territory, with declassified documents indicating that Obama was aware of the bogus investigation and efforts to railroad Michael Flynn. The mainstream media appears to be doing what it did during Obama’s entire 8 years, which is refusing to probe suspicious activities and events, and maintaining the illusion that our first black President must be seen to be as pure as the driven snow, because he was the first black President. Unless a non-right wing source or reporter plays the role of the Watergate era Washington Post and “Woodstein” to get the truth out, we will be kept in the dark…and you know what the Post says happens in darkness.
3. More Orwellian language banning. Via Ann Althouse, I learned that the associated Press has banned the use of “mistress.” This sends Ann into one of her quirky tangents about words she doesn’t like or are misused, but the ethics point is that banning any words is a mind-control technique, and Ethics Alarms opposes the practice absolutely. My position has hardened, and it was hard already, observing how “illegal immigrant” has been virtually banned by the media so that the rather crucial detail that those in the country illegally are not “immigrants” or “migrants” indistinguishable from those who have followed our laws, but law-breakers. Mistress, as Ann goes to great length to explain, is the only word that describes a woman who is in an adulterous relationship with a man.
4. And speaking of political correctness…Nicholas Damask, Ph.D. (so he “doesn’t need to be dealing with shit like this!”) teaches political science at Scottsdale Community College in Arizona. He gave a class a quiz including these three questions:
- Q.Who do terrorists strive to emulate? A. Mohammed
- Q. Where is terrorism encouraged in Islamic doctrine and law? A. The Medina verses [i.e., the portion of the Qur’an traditionally understood as having been revealed later in Muhammad’s prophetic career]
- Q. Terrorism is _______ in Islam. A. justified within the context of jihad.
Damask maintains that “All quiz questions on each of my quizzes, including the ones in question here, are carefully sourced to the reading material. On this quiz, questions were sourced to the Qur’an, the hadiths, and the sira (biography) of Mohammed, and other reputable source material.”
A student in the class emailed Damask to complain that he was offended by these questions, which the student regarded as “in distaste of Islam.” A social media campaign began against Damask on the College’s Instagram account. Scottsdale Community College officials then posted on Instagram post that the student was correct and that he would receive full credit for contrary responses to all the quiz questions related to Islam and terrorism.”
Damask points out that this was done without any official complaint being filed and without him being offered any opportunity to respond on his own. The administration then issued an apology to the student and to the “Islamic community,” and stated on the College’s Instagram page that Damask would be “required” to apologize to the student for the quiz questions, as the questions were “inappropriate” and “inaccurate,” and would be permanently removed from Damask’s exams. “During one call with an administrator, Damask was told that his class content on Islamic terrorism would have to be revised after consulting with an Islamic religious leader, and that he would probably have to take a class taught by a Muslim before teaching about Islamic terrorism. He was also sent a Galileo-style apology he was told to release.
The professor has refused to apologize. Meanwhile, so many death threats against him (as well as against his 9-year-old grandson and 85-year-old parents) have appeared online from the peaceful practitioners of Islam that he and his family are in hiding.