“We, the NFL, condemn racism and the systematic oppression of Black People. We, the NFL, admit we were wrong for not listening to NFL players earlier and encourage all to speak out and peacefully protest. We, the NFL, believe Black Lives Matter.”
—Roger Goodell, NFL Commissioner, engaging in a mandatory grovel and making no sense whatsoever.
If I had any respect for the National Football League whatsoever, this fatuous, cowardly statement would really bother me. As it is, it’s just more evidence of what I knew already: this is the most cynical, ethics-free sports organization north of the International Cock Fighting Association.
1. So because a single sick cop, aided and abetted by three incompetent colleagues, killed a man under arrest in Minneapolis, this proves to Roger Goodell that his league was in error protecting its ticket-purchasing market from distracting non-football grandstanding on the playing field three years ago.
Sure, that follows.
2. The issue was and is that players had and have a right to speak out and peacefully protest, but like all other employees they do not have the right to do so on the job, in the workplace.
3. Oh, good. The NFL condemns racism. When will they announce that they also condemn genocide, poverty, war, rape, hunger, pestilence and death? Well, you can’t accuse the NFL of subtle, nuanced virtue-signaling. This is Virtue Signaling For Dummies.
4. If the NFL really believe that black lives matter, why does it continue to let its black players destroy their brains for their white owners’ profits?
5. Just a little bit more pressure and intimidation from sponsors and the players union, and I fully expect Goodell to append an addendum to his statement that the NFL also believes that police and white people suck, which is the not-so-subtle meaning of Black Lives Matters anyway.