Always appropriate, any day, any time…and besides, they tore down the author’s statue. This is his memorial…
1. As for monuments…the Governor of South Dakota, Kristi Noem, responding to suggestions that Mount Rushmore would soon be on the George Floyd mob’s hit list, said curtly, “Not on my watch.”
It is not so fanciful a notion, since three of the four Presidents on the mountain have had statues toppled, and the fourth, Lincoln, now has his own statue under fire. The Freedmen’s Memorial Monument to Abraham Lincoln in Boston’s Lincoln Park is targeted by an online petition as is its original, the statue that stands in Washington D.C.’s Lincoln Park. The fact that the statue was commissioned and paid for by freed African-Americans appears to have no importance to the statue-topplers whatsoever.
After all, Facts Don’t Matter.
2. If there is a shark. she will jump it. House Speaker Nancy Pelosi asserted in an interview Tuesday that Republicans are “trying to get away with murder, actually — the murder of George Floyd.” We must remember this when it is determined that the police involved in Floyd’s death can’t get a fair trial because the second highest ranking elected official in the country declared Floyd to be a murder victim before a trial.
A Democratic-run city (for over a half-a century) with a Democratic mayor and and overwhelmingly Democratic City Council (without a single Republican), in a state with a Democratic Governor, oversaw a police department that has been criticized for its conduct long before Floyd’s death, did nothing to remedy the problem, and now faces the consequences.
By what possible distortion of facts and logic can it be argued that Republicans are “trying to get away with murder”?
Once again, another question must be raised: how could CBS News Radio correspondent Steve Futterman, hearing Pelosi’s accusation, not point this out and still presume to be called a journalist?
3. Bombshell!—if anybody hears or reads about it. Notes from corrupt FBI counterintelligence official Peter Strzok taken a January 2017 meeting in the Oval Office indicate that then-President Barack Obama and Joe Biden took an active role in the persecution of incoming National Security Adviser Michael Flynn, presumably to undermine the new Trump administration. These photos have appeared online, and the documents have been entered into evidence in court. The notes…
The notes in the court filing regarding the notes :
A translation of the notes:
NSA-D-DAG = [illegible] Other countries
D-DAG: lean forward on [illegible]
VP: “Logan Act”
P: These are unusual times
VP: I’ve been on the intel cmte for ten years and I never
P: Make sure you look at things — have the right people on it
P: Is there anything I shouldn’t be telling transition team?
D: Flynn –> Kislyak calls but appear legit
[illegible] Happy New Year. Yeah right
Interesting: Obama is quoted as saying, “These are unusual times,” and, “Is there anything I shouldn’t be telling the [Trump] transition team?”
Nice. We know what “These are unusual times” means: see Rationalizations 28 and 31. The notes also suggest that meeting attendee Susan Rice’s strange memo to herself saying that Obama had said to go “by the book” was a cover-up.
4. This result was inevitable: In a 2-1 opinion, the United States Court of Appeals for the D.C. Circuit granted Michael Flynn’s petition for a writ of mandamus ordering Judge Emmet Sullivan to dismiss the case against him. It’s a scathing opinion, and Sullivan earned it. His refusal to allow the Justice Department to drop a case that had been thoroughly tainted (see above) was not just wrong, it was unethical and an abuse of power.
A judge cannot force a prosecutor to try a case, which is one of the points made in the reversal. The decision to bring charges or drop them is solely an executive branch function, and a judge is not constitutionally permitted to countermand that decision without violating the fundamental principle of separation of powers.
5. Now? Do we have enough evidence about these “peaceful protests” now?
From the Madison (Wis) Police blotter: “A 28-year-old man was arrested over the noon hour, outside of The Coopers Tavern, 20 W. Mifflin St., after entering the outdoor seating area of the restaurant and using a bullhorn to make loud statements where diners were seated and eating. He was also holding a baseball bat. Devonere A. Johnson has been tentatively charged with disorderly conduct while armed, resisting arrest, and attempted escape. After Johnson was taken into custody, he broke free from the back of a MPD squad car. He was tackled as he attempted to escape custody.”
In response to this, Miss Forward, the seven-foot statue of a strong and proud woman “standing at the prow of a boat as if to direct Wisconsin into the bright future,” was toppled by a mob. State senator Tim Carpenter, D-Milwaukee was attacked by members of the mob and beaten.
Madison blogger David Blaska wrote,
Tuesday night’s riot (there is no other word for it) was not a protest against racial injustice, it was about creating demolishing civilization; vandalism for its own sake. Mindless mob nihilism….This is not a demonstration, it is an act of civil insurrection.
Again we have anarchy and mob violence in a Democratic Party-run city in a state with a Democratic governor, who said after these incidents:
“We are prepared to activate the Wisconsin National Guard to protect state buildings and infrastructure and are continuing to work with local law enforcement to understand their response to last night’s events and their plan to respond to similar events in the future.”
Wisconsin Assembly Majority Leader Jim Steineke (R-Kaukauna) tweeted,
“The problem is, you [Evers] have tolerated it. You haven’t acted to protect state property. You say ‘we are prepared to activate the National Guard.’ Pardon me Gov, but what are you waiting for? A state Senator was attacked last night. Does someone need to die before you’ll act?”
My guess, and based on what we have observed in Seattle, the answer to that question is “Yes.”
Do the Democrats really think that they can keep ducking accountability by blaming this on President Trump?