Why Satchel Paige? The legendary Negro Leagues pitcher and member of baseball’s Hall of Fame once said, “How old would you be if you didn’t know how old you was?” Satchel wasn’t fooling: having played most of his career when blacks were blocked from the Major Leagues, Paige was still good enough at 42 to join the 1948 Cleveland Indians as a relief pitcher, and was effective enough to be contender for Rookie of the Year. Then he became the oldest pitcher to start a Major League game, shutting out the Boston Red Sox for three innings at the age of 59.
In my case, the answer to Paige’s question would be about 18, or perhaps 10. Surely not the age my arithmetic tells me, which is depressing and a little frightening. Every December first since 2009 has been a day with bad connotations: I found my father dead in his favorite chair that year, when I checked to see if he was going to have dinner with me as we had planned. This year there are two. Well, Dad soldiered on to have 19 more productive and mostly happy years after he reached my age, and he was being treated for cancer by than, and I’m not. There aren’t many ways I can top my father, but at least that’s gives me something to shoot for.
1. Wow. You don’t get to see such naked bias and hate just put out there in the media like this very often…Just think: a Washington Post editor okayed this article attacking the White House Christmas decorations and using them to excoriate Melania Trump for existing. How petty and ugly can a writer be and still get published? I guess it depends on whether or not your target is the Trumps.
The “money quote”: “[T]he defenders of Melania have always insisted on comparing her to her predecessor, Michelle Obama, and it became hard to believe that “elegant” was a code word for anything other than “White.” Melania is “elegant” because she represented a very specific kind of White femininity: silent, lovely, delicately fingering the ornaments that her staff had assembled.” The author is Monica Hesse, the Post’s gender writer. She is a biased, vicious, jerk. It is so obvious that Melania Trump could design Michelle Obama’s White House decorations and Michelle could secretly design the Trumps’, and Hesse would pronounce what she thought was Michelle’s inclusive and brilliant, and would condemn what she thought Melania created.
You know, pretty much the way her paper covered the Obama and Trump administrations.
2. This why I’ve insisted on calling it “the Wuhan virus” since March. How can CNN dare to present this as a scoop on November 30…
…after calling President Trump and anyone else who insisted that the pandemic originated in and with China was a racist? The truth of China’s culpability has been clear from the beginning, but a memo apparently went out from AUC Central that it would be easier to blame Trump for pandemic deaths if China’s accoutability was shot down the memory hole, at least until Biden won the election.
3. Are Democratic Party elected officials trying to guarantee that lockdown measures are defied by the public? Just yesterday there was this from the New York Post…
…and this from Fox News:
Or are they just arrogant power-mad hypocrites who think that the public is stupid beyong belief? (If you recall that Kuehl played face-squinching Zelda Gilroy on “The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis,” you’re at least as old as I am.)
4. Speaking of Democrats rubbing the public’s face in their hyprocrisy, Joe Biden signaled that he intends to nominate Neera Tanden as his Director of the Office of Management and Budget. Who is she? She’s a Clinton guerilla, but it’s worse than that.
Tanden was one of numerous Democrats to join the plot in 2016 to encourage electors in the Electoral College to ignore their states’ votes and refuse to elect Trump as President. Tanden endorsed fanatic NeverTrump lawyer Richard Painter’s argument that Trump’s violations of the Emolument Clause disqualified him from being President.Tanden also spread the false but effective conspiracy theory that Hillary Clinton lost because of Russian interference, claiming the “Russians did enough damage to affect more than 70k votes in 3 states.” Four days after the 2016 election, Tanden began implying that Russian hackers changed the vote totals.
This is the nominee by an apparent President-elect whose allies are attacking Trump for challenging the current vote totals in court, rather than through rumors and contrived fantasy.
5. And let us never forget that on this date in 1955, Rosa Parks got herself arrested for refusing to give up her seat to a white man on a Montgomery, Alabama, bus, an ethics milestone if there ever was one.
Satchel Paige approved.