Yesterday’s murder of children and teachers at the Robb Elementary School in Uvalde doesn’t require an ethics verdict. The shooter was a monster, by any rational definition. The reactions and public statements provoked by the tragedy do require ethics verdicts, and they are largely the same. There was an immediate rush to embrace appeals to emotion, excusable with regular citizens, irresponsible for public officials, celebrities, and anyone who has enhanced influence in society.
Particularly revolting was how much was assumed or declared before the facts were known…and there still isn’t enough known, which shouldn’t be surprising since less than 24 hours passed. There are some things we can assume, however. We can assume that there will be another media-fueled freakout more or less exactly like the reaction to the Parkland shooting, but even more extreme because Democrats are desperate to find a distraction from the markers of their incompetence and failures before a reckoning can occur in November. We can assume—indeed we have already seen—that the exact same cliches, vague nostrums and deceitful statistics will reappear and be repeated, and from the same agents. I assume Don Lemon will be weeping soon on CNN, if he hasn’t already.
Primarily, I assume that the Barn Door Fallacy will take over, like it did after the Oklahoma City bombing, 9-11-01, and the George Floyd fiasco. The public, law makers, demagogues, pundits and news media will clamor for and maybe cause to come to pass draconian measures that will make life and society in the USA less free, less healthy, less conducive to human interaction, more expensive, more inconvenient, and more generally rotten, on the theory that a random catastrophe authored by a small number of human aberrations can be retroactively prevented. Barack Obama’s fatuous “if it saves one human life” nonsense will again make sense. The hope is that this tragedy creates an opportunity to eliminate obstacles to other Democratic policies. Senator Ed Markey (D-MA) said the quiet part out loud: “Abolish the filibuster and pass gun safety legislation now.”
If I permitted myself to respond to this near-certainty in kind, I would write something like the audacious conservative assassin Ace of Spades posted this morning…
…here we go again. Another firearm became self-aware and went on a shooting rampage that has left, as of this morning, 21 people dead and the Left absolutely wetting themselves with glee at the prospect of dancing on the still warm bodies as a means of distracting the citizenry from the abject disaster of the past 16 months of the waking nightmare that is life under the President Sponge-Brain Shits-Pants junta.
Check that; firearms, along with knives, automobiles, trucks, explosives and airliners can only become self-aware when a non-white and/or non Judeo-Christian is holding it, or otherwise seen to be controlling it in a manner that the media cannot effectively airbrush. Otherwise, minus the seeming telekinesis and voodoo, the NRA, toxic-masculinity, TrumpPutin, whiteness, Judeo-Christianity, heterosexuals, conservatives, the pro-life movement, along with every other thing that is not at the barest of bare minimums even slightly Leftist-adjacent are always to blame.
Like clockwork, the calls for the abolition of the second amendment have come from the usual quarters. The difference is that this time, we are living in a nation where those in power have absolutely zero compunction to act unilaterally and unconstitutionally…
I think he’s basically correct, but those can’t be the observations this morning on an ethics site. For now, these are:
- Apparently, school shootings make you stupid. Some of the most intelligent, informed and generally rational of my friends posted these exact words on social media: “This has to stop!”… “GUN CONTROL”…”I want to live in a country that loves its children more than its guns”…”Now Uvalde, Texas. How many more before we DO SOMETHING?”
Yes, by all means, let’s do SOMETHING, just to be able to say we did something..like, say, taking away the rights of law abiding citizens to pretend to prevent criminals and maniacs from ignoring whatever new restrictions are put in place. Do what? Pre-crime? Confiscation? Repealing the Second Amendment? I give my normally astute friend credit for not using “sensible (or common sense) gun control” rather than just “GUN CONTROL,” but plenty of others are. That’s the recycled code for “we really don’t have any plan that will stop shootings like this, but we want to make it sound like there is one besides banning guns.”
- Biden’s address was simply a stump speech when a bipartisan statement of compassion and healing was required in the mold of President Reagan’s address after the Challenger disaster. It was a dumb stump speech at that. It sounded like a recycled speech from the Sandy Hook anti-gun campaign; maybe it was. “Gun lobby” “assault weapons,” “commonsense gun law”, yada yada, plus Bible verses from a President now supporting the abortion of viable fetuses, “We have to act” (Translation: “Do something”), “We can do so much more. We have to do more” ((Translation: “Do something”). Shameless and shameful. But typical and predictable.
It’s unethical for leaders to pretend they have a practical solutions when they don’t.
- Attention must be paid to Joe’s evocation of this indestructible anti-gun oldie but goodie: “What in God’s name do you need an assault weapon for except to kill someone? Deer aren’t running through the forest with Kevlar vests on, for God’s sake. It’s just sick.” The government doesn’t and can’t have the power to tell me what I “need” to protect my family, home, or self, particularly when it is inclined to allow some groups with Progressive Seal of Approval grievances hold “mostly peaceful protests” while law enforcement is ordered to stand down.
I was going to list the most revolting statements by various officials sparked by the shooting, but I waited too long, and now there are so many I can’t do it. Here is a representative sample, however:
- Special infamy is due GOP Rep. Paul Gosar of Arizona, who launched the rumor via Twitter that the shooter was a “transsexual leftist illegal alien.” I saw this turn up last night several times. He should be disiciplined by the party. (He won’t be.)
- Democratic Rep. Ruben Gallego of Arizona tweeted at Ted Cruz: “Fuck you …you care about a fetus but you will let our children get slaughtered. Just get your ass to Cancun. You are useless.”
- Rep. Eric Swalwell (D-Cal) tweeted, “My little boy just asked “did the bad guy from the grocery store come back? Is he going to come to our house?”
- Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez (D-NY): “There is no such thing as being ‘pro-life’ while supporting laws that let children be shot in their schools, elders in grocery stores, worshippers in their houses of faith, survivors by abusers, or anyone in a crowded place.”
- California Democrat Governor Gavin Newsom: “We need nationwide, comprehensive, commonsense gun safety NOW.”
Hey! What a great idea!