I am taking down the post regarding the alleged insane statements of Sandra Fluke regarding the GOP’s culpability for Anthony Weiner’s sexting. I am persuaded that it is a web hoax. Though it was sent to me as true, with a reference to “Best of the Web,” a reliable source, I have traced the item back to a blogger who tagged his post “satire” and “humor.”
This is why I detest web hoaxes.
While the claims attributed to Ms. Fluke were absurd and extreme, they were not especially funny, or so removed from other positions she has advocated that the hyperbole here would be obvious, at least to me.
- Gratitude and kudos to Arthur in Maine, who refocused my attention on the post.
- Apologies and regrets to Ethics Alarms readers. I do check sources, but this time I didn’t check well enough.
- I apologize to my fellow GULC alum, Ms. Fluke, for believing her capable of such idiocy.
- I apologize to Emily’s List.
- I apologize to James Taranto, to whom I originally and erroneously credited for the pointer.
- I do not apologize to Rush Limbaugh or the GOP. My comments regarding them in relation to Sandra Fluke stand.