That was an email from Democratic National Committee Data Services manager Madeleine Leader, announcing that the Technology Department is looking to fill several positions and asking interested parties to forward the openings to their colleagues.
Note the last sentence:
“I personally would prefer that you not forward to cisgender straight white males, since they’re already in the majority.”
Seven questions bubble up to the surface as I ponder this:
1 Why is Madeleine Leader still employed by the DNC? I can answer that one: her email accurately reflects the culture of the Democratic National Committee, and the Democratic Party. If she wasn’t completely confident that such an open expression of prejudice and discrimination would be acceptable, she would not have dared to put such a sentiment into print.
Even so, if the Democrats had an ounce of sense or even aspired to decency, they would have fired Leader with expressions of horror, and proclaimed her a rogue employee. However, the party apparently believes that its base and perhaps even the typical Democrat will read Leader’s message and say, “What’s the matter with that?”
2. Do progressives and Democrats really think there is a difference between saying “no white, straight males need apply” and “no black lesbians need apply”? I can answer that one too. Of course they do. They really think the latter is despicable, racist, sexist homophobia, and the former is just virtuous diversity at work.
They really do. No, seriously. They do.
3. Why was this story first reported at the Daily Wire, a conservative website, then at several other conservative websites, then on Fox News, and finally at The Hill, a political website that tilts left, but not yet at any mainstream media sources?
See #1 above. One reason the DNC thinks it can pretty much duck this embarrassment is that it knows the mainstream media will cover the party’s tracks by not reporting the story. “Democracy dies in darkness,” pompously proclaims the Washington Post on its front page. Right. The Post doesn’t want independents or anyone who isn’t in lock-step with whatever the Democratic Party does or says to know how low the party of Jefferson, Jackson and FDR has sunk, and how much it has abandoned democratic ideals. It has been three days since Leader’s email became public. The Post has kept the story in darkness. So has the New York Times, apparently because blatant bigotry at the DNC isn’t news fit to print.
4. Why do Democrats want Donald Trump to be re-elected? They must want this; I can’t figure out any other explanation for the party’s behavior since November. It should have looked at itself in the mirror, and realized that it has become so estranged from basic American values that the public was willing to elect Donald Trump—Donald Trump!— rather than submit to the divisive tribalism seeded and cultivated by the Obama Administration. Instead of pulling itself away from the abyss, however, it is hurling itself over and in.
5. Does everybody find the DNC’s response as pathetic as I do? The Hill got this regarding the email from DNC spokesman Michael Tyle:
“The email in question was not authorized by the DNC nor was it authorized by senior leadership. All hiring decisions at the DNC are made consistent with the DNC’s commitment to equal employment opportunity and hiring an inclusive and talented staff that reflects the coalition of the Democratic Party, because our diversity is our greatest strength.”
Sure. Except that if the email has not been made public, Leader would have hired a gay, non-white male or female or some other anointed combination, and no one would have known or cared, because she was reflecting the culture and attitudes she works in. (Of course it’s not “authorized”—it was an internal email. Lame.)
6. Shouldn’t conservative writer Rod Dreher’s reaction be typical of anyone with a sense of integrity and self-preservation? He wrote,
“This mentality exemplified by Madeleine Leader has a lot to do with why, at the end of the day, I’ll end up voting Republican out of pure self-protection, and to protect the job prospects of my children, especially my sons. Good job, Democrats. You are telling straight white people that they are second-class citizens who don’t deserve fairness. You’ll continue to find self-hating liberal whites who are willing to accept this garbage, but many more aren’t falling for it — and know what kind of world Democrats are preparing for them when and if they take power again.
As a registered Independent whose economic and foreign policy views are to the left of the average Republican’s, I would love to have the chance to consider voting Democratic in a national election, especially with the GOP in such a mess. But out of self-protection, I can’t take that chance.”
7. Finally, isn’t it amazing that the Democrats still haven’t learned what I teach the lawyers in my legal ethics seminars: don’t put anything in an email that you wouldn’t want on the front page of the New York Times?
Even if the New York Times doesn’t have the integrity to print it…