1. Ah, now THAT’S the ol’ Spirit of 1776! In a subdivision near Sterling Heights in Chesterfield, Michigan, a resident sent an anonymous letter to other residents, threatening to take dire measures against them if they set off fireworks after 9 PM this week. Here’s the letter…
I’m presuming that the real spirit of 1776 still breathes deeply in this nation, and that the reaction of the recipients of that letter will be to make certain that the noisiest fireworks possible are exploding every second during the time they are permitted to be by law, from the start of the week to the end. The neighbor is a coward, a jerk and a bully, and his bluff must be called as a matter of justice and honor. (Pointer: HLN)
2. Nah, the mainstream news media isn’t biased! In an absolutely correct and justified editorial note, Fox News’ Chris Wallace excoriated media outlets on “Fox News Sunday” for attempting to connect President Donald Trump to the newsroom shooting at Capital Gazette in Maryland. (This will, of course, be called an example of Fox News pro-Trump toadying by those same media outlets.) This was indeed one of the most transparent recent episodes of fake news peddling by CNN, Reuters and others in the mainstream media, who worked hard to make the case that the killer of five was motivated by the President’s repeated accusation that the media is “the enemy of the people.” We now know that the shooter swore that he would kill the Capital Gazette writer whom he targeted in the attack years ago, when everyone assumed that Hillary was going to be the next President.
This is a good time to reiterate the Ethics Alarms position that indeed American journalism has metastasized into a dangerous malfunctioning and corrupt institution for which “enemy of the people” is not an unfair description, and this episode shows why. Democracy serves the best interests of the people. Independent, objective, competent and trustworthy journalism is essential to a functioning democracy, while a biased and partisan mainstream media deliberately trying to advance its own agenda along with that of one party is antithetical to democracy, and is in fact conducive to tyranny and totalitarianism. This is damaging to our democracy, thus damaging to the public interest, and therefore damaging to the people. Calling such an institution the enemy of the people is neither unfair nor undeserved.
3. If Republicans secretly funded these, they couldn’t have been more effective...The pro-illegal immigration protests over the weekend demonstrated the real agenda of the “immigration reform” movement, as well as again exposing its essential dishonesty. Naturally, speakers, signs and rhetoric confounded legal and illegal immigrants, the approximate equivalent of arguing that there is no difference between the boarder who rents a room in your home and the home invader who refuses to leave. Then the protesters literally announced that there should be no national borders, because there is a “human right” to live wherever you want. (This idiotic position flunks Kant’s basic ethics principle that to be ethical, everyone should be able to engage in an act without harm to society. No, “everyone” can’t live in the United States. Sorry. If you think otherwise, you’re a moron. Sorry about that, too.)
The demonstrators were essentially endorsing government by John Lennon’s “Imagine.” Good plan!
Finally, demonstrators, activists, and even some Democratic officials called for the abolishment of ICE, a nutty position that had its right-wing equivalent in Tea Party calls to abolish the IRS.
Are progressives trying to lose the 2018 midterms and the 2020 elections?
4. In related news...I just watched an HLN report waxing sentimental about the reunion of a child who had been detained after being taken from her father, with her mother, who traveled to the US to claim the girl. Quoth the HLN anchor, “Her father was trying to enter the U.S. so she could have a better life.” Why doesn’t the news media describe bank robbers, burglars, muggers and drug-peddlers this way? Presumably these criminals, who are invariably poor, just want a better life for their kids too.
This is deliberately slanted news, manipulation and propaganda (See #2 above.) intended to bolster the anti-Trump protests (See #3 above).
5. What the hell is the matter with people? In San Francisco, a woman called the police on an 8-year-old girl who was selling water to pedestrians on a hot day. In Cleveland, a neighbor called the police on a 12-year-old entrepreneur who was mowing a woman’s lawn and strayed over the property line.
The San Francisco episode was magnified because the complaining party was white and the little girl was black, so there were allegations of racism, as if it would have been more acceptable had the woman called the police on her own race.
Forget it, Jack: It’s San Franciscotown…
6. Michael Tomasky Is A Disgrace To Journalism. Michael Tomasky writes for the Daily Beast, and turns up in other left-leaning news sources too. His presence tells me exactly how much The Daily Beast cares about accuracy, competence and objectivity: along with the equally trustworthy Peter Beinart, Tomasky is so biased and incompetent it hurts my teeth. In a nice signature significance piece called “Anthony Kennedy, You Are a Total Disgrace to America” —How dare an octogenarian retire from a stressful and vital post that requires a younger occupant when it inconveniences leftist ideologues!— and in the course of smearing Kennedy, Tomasky writes,
“And now we learn that on top of everything else, Kennedy may just be corrupt. So his son Justin, if last week’s New York Times account is correct, in essence kept Donald Trump in business for the better part of a decade, overseeing $1 billion worth of loans to the Trump Organization via Deutsche Bank, where he worked. Justin and the Trump kids are buddies, it seems. Justin and Trump himself are palsy-walsy.”
…thus proving that Tomasky either doesn’t know what a judicial conflict of interest is or is willing to misinform any foolish readers that might relay on his authority. The associations of adult relatives of judges and Supreme Court justices do not create conflicts of interests unless the family member will directly benefit from a decision in a case. That principle is well established, and well known. Calling such a non-conflict as Kennedy’s evidence of “corruption” is outrageous, and if the Daily Beast had editors with integrity (I have read enough DB to know it does not), such a factually false statement would not be deemed publishable.