- A 31-year-old female deputy and 24-year-old male deputy were shot while sitting in their patrol car at a Metro rail station in Compton, California. Protesters gathered outside the emergency room at the hospital where they were treated. The sheriff’s department found it necessary to tweet: “To the protesters blocking the entrance & exit of the HOSPITAL EMERGENCY ROOM yelling “We hope they die” referring to 2 LA Sheriff’s ambushed today in #Compton: DO NOT BLOCK EMERGENCY ENTRIES & EXITS TO THE HOSPITAL,. People’s lives are at stake when ambulances can’t get through.” President Trump tweeted in response to the shooting:
Incredible: flat learning curve. After all the uproar about calling people “animals.” And if the shooters are minorities…The only one who can lose this election for President Trump is President Trump.
- The Times of Israel reports, based on a recording of a virtual fundraiser, that Joe Biden said that the recent development of Arab states normalizing relations with Israel was “something positive” President Trump is doing “accidentally.”
Stay classy, Joe. To be fair, that has been the narrative of the Democratic Party/”resistance”/news media alliance for four years: if something goes wrong, it is the President’s fault; if something goes right, it’s either wrong anyway because Trump is responsible, or it’s just luck or an accident.
2. And now, from the world of sports!
- Hawk-Eye Live, a fully electronic line-calling system was used for the first time in The U.S. Open. It eliminates the need for line umpires in tennis, leaving only a chair umpire on court, leaving the machine the final and only word. In the first 225,000 automated calls, 14 errors were detected, and the players liked the system.
Good. This is certain to hasten the advent of computer ball and strike calls in baseball, and it’s about time. The opposition to the change, which will largely eliminate the phenomenon of games, championships and careers being adversely effected by “human error,” has been based on a total ignorance of the ethical principle of integrity.
- Meanwhile, on the baseball field in the most absurd season ever, the Baltimore Orioles are fighting for a play-off spot. The Baltimore Orioles stink, and they are only contenders because MLB has stooped to a hockey-style play-off system to artificially goose interest in the 60 game season. Fully half the teams will have a shot at being “World Champions.” Not among the eligible will be the 2019 World Champions, the Washington Nationals, and the 2018 World Champions, the Boston Red Sox, who have been even worse than the Orioles.
3. And yet Brian Stelter insists that CNN is an ethical news network…The New York Post reported that Fox News’ gadfly Tucker Carlson played a tape revealing that CNN President Jeff Zucker offered quid pro quo deal to then-candidate Donald Trump in 2016 through histhen fixer/lawyer/scumbag Michael Cohen. Zucker tells Cohen that he wants Trump to host a weekly show, and points out the importance of having CNN on Trump’s side in the presidential election. “You guys have had great instincts, great guts, and great understanding of everything. But you’re missing the boat on how it works going forward,” Zucker told Cohen during a March 2016 conversation Carlson revealed. “You cannot be elected president of the United States without CNN.” Zucker then explained why he would deal with the candidate only through Cohen. “I’m very conscious of not putting too much in email, as you’re a lawyer, as you understand,” Zucker said. “And, you know, as fond as I am of the boss, he also has a tendency, like, you know, if I call him or I email him, he then is capable of going out at his next rally and saying that we just talked and I can’t have that, if you know what I’m saying.”
Oddly, Stelter has not addressed this tape in any of his media commentary.
4. I would make this an Unethical Quote Of The Month, but it’s too stupid to be an unethical quote. “Mother Earth is angry, she’s telling us, whether she’s telling us with hurricanes on the Gulf Coast, fires in the West, whatever it is, that the climate crisis is real and has an impact,” quoth Nancy Pelosi.
Would someone please explain to Nancy that you can’t constantly blather on about “science” and continue to say things like “Mother Earth is angry”?
5. With this George Floyd note, I’m officially adding the Samuel L. Jackson clip (from “Jurassic Park”) to the Ethics Alarms Move Clip Pantheon:
It is increasingly likely that the officer who knelt on George Floyd’s neck will not be convicted of murder.
It has been revealed that in May of 2019, Floyd was stopped by police for selling drugs, swallowed the drugs, and then had to be hospitalized for an overdose:
The medical examiner has already found that Floyd probably died from the effects of an overdose of fentanyl, and not the pressure applied to his neck.
Let me know if you see any of this reported in the mainstream media.