Well, I’m beginning the new year sick, and it hasn’t even done anything really sickening yet…
1. What does a Harvard grad’s high GPA mean? Nothing! A column in the Harvard Crimson revealed that the average GPA at Harvard is now 3.8 out of 4.0. Data analyst Aden Barton points out that this is up from 3.3 in 1991. “Are we supposed to believe that college students are just that much smarter now than decades ago?,” he asks? No. We should believe that college and higher education have become that much of a scam. Harvard had to abolish the “Dean’s List” because not making it proved you were an idiot: 92% of students were receiving the honor.
2. To be fair, Harvard is still serving as a role model...High schools are working hard to make sure that all of its students are also rated as outstanding. Virginia’s Fairfax County Public Schools paid almost half a million dollars to Oakland, California’s Performance Fact whose “Equity Imperative” is that all students’ academic performance result in “equal outcomes without exception.” Here’s the PowerPoint presentation for a Fall retreat.
3. If only anybody paid attention to boxing… World Boxing Council president Mauricio Sulaiman announced that the WBC is developing a system in which transgender fighters will compete against opponents who share the same biological sex. “In boxing, a man fighting a woman must never be accepted regardless of gender change. There should be no grey area around this, and we want to go into it with transparency and the correct decisions. Woman to man or man to woman transgender change will never be allowed to fight a different gender by birth,” Sulaiman said. “We are creating a set of rules and structures so that transgender boxing can take place, as they fully deserve to if they want to box. We do not yet know the numbers that there are out there, but we’re opening a universal registration in 2023, so that we can understand the boxers that are out there – and we’ll start from there.”
I’m not exactly sure what the system would be: he sounds a little confused, but who can blame him? At least he’s taken the first step toward sanity, ruling out the myth that a male boxer can become a female boxer by saying it’s so.
4. Nah, there’s no mainstream media bias! Front page sub-headline in today’s Times: “To rise through the Trump-era G.O.P., a young congresswoman gave up her friends, her mentors and her ideals.”
5. I’m sure she has thought through the illegal immigration problem objectively and free from any biases or conflicts…Democratic Representative-elect Delia Ramirez was born after her pregnant mother illegally crossed the Rio Grande to come to the U.S. from Guatemala, and she is married to an illegal immigrant who is now a “Dreamer.”
6. This is irresponsible and incompetent, Mr. Chief Justice. Chief Justice Roberts’ report on the Judiciary and the Supreme Court’s 2022 omits an mention of the unethical leak of the Dobbs opinion. It can’t be an oversight. Roberts pledged that the leak would be investigated. Was it? Was the leaker identified? What measures is the Court taking to make sure this doesn’t happen again?
Althouse snarks, “We have an institution investigating itself over its own secrecy, and it’s being secretive about its investigation and its secrecy.”
Well, ignoring major events and episodes on the theory that the public won’t notice seems to work for the mainstream media, so maybe the Supreme Court is trying the tactic…
7. For example: The New York Times published “Best of Late Night 2022: A Rebuilding Year,” purporting to cover the developments in late night talk TV. One of the most stunning and telling developments in the year just past was that Fox News’s “Gutfeld!” finished 2022 surpassing the ratings of all the networks’ competition, and it is the only show of its kind that finds humor in progressive as well as conservative excesses.
The Times didn’t mention “Gutfeld!” anywhere in the article.
8. A court really had to explain this? A three-judge panel of the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals said there was no evidence that teacher, Eric Dodge had caused any actual disruption by wearing a MAGA hat to teacher-only trainings at his Vancouver, Washington. The school’s principal had threatened to punish him if did not remove it. Dodge says the apparently Trump-Deranged principal, Caroline Garrett, called him a racist and a homophobe for wearing the cap, and told him he would need a union representative if he wore the hat to school again. “That some may not like the political message being conveyed is par for the course and cannot itself be a basis for finding disruption of a kind that outweighs the speaker’s First Amendment rights,” wrote Circuit Judge Danielle Forrest.
Garrett was eventually fired for reasons other than her being a biased, censorious asshole.