1. Integrity, Citizenship and Responsibility: President Obama should begin speaking, now, about the integrity of the democratic process, the duty of all Americans to respect the opinions of others, and the civic obligation to allow elections to be peaceful and fair. he should also stop sowing partisan animus, and seeking to divide the nation for the Democratic Party ‘s advantage.
2. Responsibility and Competence: The Republican Party should tell Donald Trump that he has disgraced the party’s values, that he will no longer be considered as a candidate, and that he can do his worst. (Just for fun, it should challenge Democrats to be equally responsible and disqualify Hillary Clinton for conspiring to foil the Freedom of Information Act, which is pretty obviously what the private server was all about.)
3. Responsibility: The GOP should move the convention out of Cleveland. It may already be too late, but it needs to do this, and should have done so the second the Tamir Rice shooting occurred. Holding a national convention in that city is inviting violence. My recommendation: move it to Honolulu, so demonstrators will have to spend a fortune to get there, while placing it in Obama’s home state, bring the division he has sought and nourished into his back yard.
4. Responsibility and Competence: Cleveland should be preparing to ensure that the convention is not disrupted, while training its apparently miserably-trained police force to handle demonstrations and potential riots effectively and without increasing the chance of violence. Based on this story, however, they are late and disorganized: one more reason for the GOP to flee Cleveland.
5. Responsibility, Fairness, and Respect: Democratic party leaders and candidates should begin now urging its supporters, constituent groups and candidate supporters to allow the other party to have a peaceful convention, just as the Democratic Party wants to have its own.
6. Fairness: The Republican Party should assure the Democrats that it will observe tradition and decency and allow that party to nominate it’s candidate without any interference, and warn Democrats that they will be held responsible and accountable if they are not able to reciprocate.
7. Responsibility: The news media should shut up about the likelihood of violence at the conventions. We know they are rooting for it, especially at the Republican convention, but journalists and pundits are helping to create an environment that will guarantee violence.
Pointer and Spark: Fred