1. Diversity at Fox News! There was a brunette co-anchor sitting with Bill Hemmer this morning. I almost spit out my coffee, Now if the network would only hire a female newsreader who wouldn’t be a credible contestant in a beauty pageant, the culture might advance a bit…
2. Can an employer refuse to hire an asshole? The NFL Players Association has filed a grievance on behalf of free-agent safety Eric Reid, alleging collusion that has denied him a job for the upcoming 2018 season, and arguing that no NFL rule mandates players stand during the playing of the national anthem, that the league has indicated it respects “the rights of players to demonstrate,” and the collective bargaining agreement states “league rules supersede club rules.”
The grievance loses, or the NFL is in big trouble. Well, it is already in trouble, but more trouble. Demonstrating players annoys fans and hurts business. The NFL may force teams to allow jerks like Reid and ex-player Colin Kaepernick to interfere with Sunday head-bashing frolic by imposing their half-baked politics on the proceedings, but team can certainly choose to pay million dollar contracts to players who have better judgment, and are thus more trustworthy employees.
3. At George Washington University, it’s The Political Correctness Morons vs. The Conflict-Averse Spineless! I can’t believe I’m writing this. No, of course I can: I’ve predicted it.
The following on-line petition has garnered the requisite number of signatures among George Washington University students, and now will get an official response:
“We, as students of the George Washington University, believe it is of great exigence that the University changes its official mascot. The use of “Colonials,” no matter how innocent the intention, is received as extremely offensive by not only students of the University, but the nation and world at large. The historically, negatively-charged figure of Colonials has too deep a connection to colonization and glorifies the act of systemic oppression. Alternative nickname recommendations are “Hippos,” “Revolutionaries”, or “Riverhorses.”
They apparently don’t teach American history at GW. The nickname for the athletic teams is “The Colonials” because the United States, prior to its liberation, were called “the Colonies,” because they were colonies. Colonials are those who have been colonized, not those who do the colonizing. The mascot, meanwhile, is called “George,” because he is a caricature of George Washington, who led the Colonials to victory over Great Britain, and anyone who can’t puzzle that out shouldn’t be in college.
Who will win? Oh, the Morons, probably. On campuses the Morons almost always defeat the spineless administrators, as well as common sense and rationality. [Pointer: Res Ipsa Loquitur]
4. Speaking of spineless…The cheerleading coaches at Hanover Park High School in New Jersey decided that there would be no more try-outs for the squad. The school’s athletic director said that after a single mother complained about her daughter not making the cut, the policy would be changed in favor of “inclusion.” The school board released a statement saying:
“In order to facilitate a more inclusive program, the alignment between the various cheerleading squads would be modified to allow all interested students to be able to participate. This decision was made in the best interest of all students and was made to be as inclusive as possible.”
This was the kind of thing we used to mock when we heard about Mao’s efforts to banish competition from Red Chinese culture. I guess any student who wants to be on the math team also gets a pass, even if he or she can’t count to 10. The wrestling team! The track team! And elections are hurtful: anyone who wants to be on the student council should be allowed to serve!
I’ll file this unethical, un-American lunacy under “This Helps Explain Why Trump Is President.”
5. What? An unethical Trump Cabinet member? Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao (who is married to Mitch McConnell) has appeared in a dozen interviews with Chinese and Chinese-American media outlets beside her shipping magnate dad, whose company carries goods between the United States and Asia, He has also given Chao and Mitch about $5 million over the last decade. In one interview with New China Press, daughter and father are seen sitting in the Department of Transportation, with DOT flags in view. James Chao talks about his life, in Chinese, with a copy of his biography on the screen. Then Elaine Chao praises her father’s success story as “lifting the status of Asian-Americans in America.”
Federal officials are not supposed to use their position for personal gain or for the benefit of family members. Politico weasels, “The appearances raise ethical concerns, experts say, because public officials are legally banned from using their office for any form of private gain for themselves or others.” Well, I’m an expert, and the appearances don’t raise concerns: they are unethical as well as illegal. At very least, this is a screaming appearance of impropriety. [Disclosure: I detest the woman. Long ago, when she was in the Reagan administration, a contact set up a meeting for me with Chao when I was in a protracted job hunt. She treated me like something bad on the sole of her shoe, and hustled me out the door. But if she wants to come to my funeral, she’s welcome.]
Her office’s explanation is dishonest and pathetic:
“She and her family are the focus of [Asian-American] human interest pieces in print and broadcast media. These articles touch upon their immigrant journey and their success assimilating in the United States, their philanthropic activities and their success in business and government. The articles are motivational and not promotional in any form.” There is nothing inappropriate with a Cabinet member appearing with her father or other family members. The secretary’s appearances are intended to share an inspirational story about immigrants from a minority community who have become successful in our country.”
Except that she’s using her position promoting her family’s business, and she is a frequent beneficiary of it.
6. Finally...the eternal battle between Good and Evil resumes in Yankee Stadium tonight, as the vile Yankees, winners of 15 out of 16 games, try to vanquish the Boston Red Sox, owners of the best record in the American League. Humanity’s fate lies in the balance…