PERK UP! There’s ethics to think about!
(I’m talking to myself here…I’m sure you’re fine)
1. Today’s ridiculous note on the heartbreak of Self-Awareness Deficit. Republican Mark Sanford, the defeated former U.S. congressman from South Carolina who is best known for having to resign as governor after going AWOL to visit his South American mistress, said yesterday that he is considering mounting a primary challenge to President Donald Trump. (Psssst! Mark! The RNC has already said that there would be no debates, and the primaries are a mere formality.) Sanford says he will decide in the next month or so whether to oppose Trump for the 2020 presidential nomination.
The basis on which to run against Trump is character and ethics. Of the entire universe of legitimate potential challengers, an ex-governor who escaped impeachment by resigning after making a spectacle of himself has to be near the bottom, if not lying on it.
Somebody tell him.
2. Update: The Red Sox and the late Ken Poulsen’s son are still resisting common decency, I’m sorry to report. I wrote about the on-field presentation to Brett Poulsen last week, when he was awarded the 1967 World Series ring that his father had inexplicably never received despite being part of the that magical Red Sox season. Then we learned that the Sox infielder’s daughter Kendra had never been contacted by the team or her brother, so she and her children, Ken’s grandchildren had been left out of the ceremony. I’ve tried to alert the team and have passed the story along to a baseball writer friend, so far to no avail. Last night, NESN, the Red Sox-owned cable network, interviewed Brett in the stands during the Sox-Blue Jays game. Once again, the false impression was left that he is the only offspring of Ken Poulsen.
I’m sorry Kendra. This is wrong. I’ll keep trying.
3. Another day, another transgender competitor is permitted to cheat to win a women’s athletic contest. In the 2019 Pacific Games in Samoa. transgender weightlifter Laurel Hubbard of New Zealand, who was born male and transitioned to female in his 30’s, won two gold medals and a silver in three heavyweight categories for women weighing more than 192 pounds. The former Gavin Hubbard finished first in the snatch-lift and combined categories, then second in the clean-and-jerk.
The born-female-still female competitor who came in second place was Feagaiga Stowers of Samoa. She won a gold at the Commonwealth Games when Hubbard was sidelined with an injury.
The sanctioned mythology by LGBT activists is that being born male confers no competitive advantage whatsoever to female athletes in strength-related sports.
This is the Emperor’s New Clothes come to life.
4. But…but “everybody knows” President Trump is a racist! Ah, narratives!Treasury Secretary Steve Mnuchin explained during a congressional hearing that the new, Obama administration-approved Harriet Tubman $20 bill would not go into circulation until 2028, it was immediately seized upon by Democrats and the news media as more proof of the Trump administration’s racist heart. For example, here’s Nancy Pelosi, June 20, 2019:
It is an insult to the hopes of millions that the Trump Administration is refusing to honor Harriet Tubman on our $20 bill. This unnecessary decision must be reversed.
And inveterate race-baiter Rep. Elijah E. Cummings, June 14, 2019:
“The Treasury Department had designs to place Harriet Tubman on the $20 in the works. The Admin’s decision to delay this honor is unacceptable. I urge my colleagues to support my bill, the Harriet Tubman Tribute Act, to ensure Harriet Tubman is included on the $20 by 2020.”
I guess the Washington Post figured that since everyone was calling Trump a racist for his moronic tweets telling the four anti-Semitic, crypto-communist, America-bashing House freshmen making up “The Squad” to “go back where they came from,” it was safe to finally tell the truth about the Tubman bill. From the Post, that Trump-loving, racism-enabling newspaper:
Three current or former high-ranking government officials who served in the Obama administration, and involved in the design and release of currency, said the Trump administration has not delayed the release of a new $20.
Instead, they say, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin — while expressing indifference about Tubman’s placement on the currency, whereas his predecessor backed the change — has followed a timeline set under the Obama administration for the introduction of the new $20 bill.
In 2016, President’s Obama Treasury Secretary Jack Lew said a “final concept design” of the Tubman $20 would be released in 2020. He asked the government to accelerate the process of the redesign, saying the new look would be released by 2020, the 100th anniversary of women winning the right to vote.
But inside the agency, some government officials doubted that deadline could be met. A confidential 2013 report by the Advanced Counterfeit Deterrence committee, an interagency group that oversees the redesign of U.S. currency, said the $20 would not enter circulation until 2030, similar to the timeline announced by the Trump administration, according to Larry R. Felix, director of the Bureau of Engraving and Printing from 2006 to 2015.
Felix and other senior officials believed it would not be possible to release a “concept” design of Tubman on the $20 in 2020, given that these designs are never released several years — much less an entire decade — before they enter circulation.
Funny how the Post didn’t bother to look into this until after that June installment of the “Trump is a racist” Big Lie was fully digested by the public.
5. Ethics Quote of the Day from Louisiana Senator John Kennedy (no relation) [Pointer: Althouse]:
In America, if you hate our Country, you are free to leave. The simple fact of the matter is, the four Congresswomen think that America is wicked in its origins, they think that America is even more wicked now, that we are all racist and evil. They’re entitled to their opinion, they’re Americans. Now I’m entitled to my opinion, & I just think they’re left wing cranks. They’re the reason there are directions on a shampoo bottle, & we should ignore them. The ‘squad’ has moved the Democrat Party substantially LEFT, and…..they are destroying the Democrat Party. I’m appalled that so many of our Presidential candidates are falling all over themselves to try to agree with the four horsewomen of the apocalypse. I’m entitled to say that they’re Wack Jobs.”
This, among other things, convinces me that as dumber than dumb Trump’s tweets about the Squad may have been, I doubt they will lose him a single vote. The people most outraged about the “love it or leave it” tinge of the rhetoric (that’s not what he said, but that is how it is being falsely framed) are either already resistance enthusiasts or NeverTrumpers looking for reasons to support the Democrats.
I long ago decided that in the famous “Fox or Hedgehog” dichotomy, Donald Trump is a Hedgehog—he knows one Big Thing that allows him to routinely defeat the Foxes who know many things. The question is, what is that Big Thing? It may well be the Cognitive Dissonance Scale.
Despite decades of indoctrination to the contrary, most Americans are proud of their country and do not believe it has been a force for evil in the world. They recognize that capitalism has been responsible for the much of the nation’s success, and they do not want to emulate the European nanny states. Most Americans also regard the office of the Presidency as an inherently good institution. The Four Horsewomen of the Apocalypse, as the President now calls them, do not believe these things, and by clearly opposing a group that is deep, deep in negative territory on the scale, the President is certain to derive a net benefit. Although I have heard the Stage 5 Trump Deranged argue that he does not love his country and does not have its best interests at heart, that is an unsupportable position fueled by dislike alone. Nobody becomes President who isn’t a patriot, and no President wants to go down in history as a bad one. Now the entire Democratic Party is tying itself to these four repulsive, anti-American extremists, which is the equivalent of the party tying itself to an anchor on the Scale.